LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

sugarselections

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by sugarselections » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 pm

LHC ships all year round.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 pm

coffee cup wrote:Hi, I'm new here.

We have 3 PP hermit crabs that I got from the the pet store for my kids. There's really not a lot of places that sell crabs around here and I had to go to a lot of pet stores just to find these three. We bought all three that they had.

So, I decided to get my kids a couple of strawberries and a new crabitat for Christmas. I ordered them from live hermit crabs (and paid a lot between the crabs and shipping. Like $70 for 2 crabs). There is nothing on the website about shipping times, but I assumed they would come pretty quick because of the expedited shipping, so I waited to order until I had the new cage set up and ready to go. The confirmation e-mail I got said it will take 2 weeks to ship. That would put them here Christmas Eve with no delays, so cutting it kind of close. Right away I e-mailed them asking if it is really going to take 2 weeks, and if they could ship a little faster because of the holiday. No response. Several days later I sent another e-mail asking for a response. Nothing.

I'm thinking I need to dispute the charges with my credit card. What are the odds these crabs are going to show up in time? Or like, at all?

Any idea where I can get some crabs in S. San Diego? I really wanted some strawberry ones for the kids, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen. Pretty much the only thing the kids wanted for Christmas were hermit crabs, and now I'm worried Christmas is ruined. I guess we got a nice new 36x18 crabitat, though.
Although it's not completely impossible, there's really no chance you'll get your crabs by Christmas. Many times people wait months and months for their crabs from LHC. It's up to you whether you want to cancel the order or try to wait it out.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:43 pm

gotta-crab-em-all wrote:I could be totally wrong, but I thought LHC doesn't ship in the winter because its too cold & too dangerous for the crabs? I thought they normally ship in the summer/fall?
That was the Hermit Crab Patch. They were the only ones who followed the HCA policy of not shipping in winter weather.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:44 pm

wodesorel wrote: That was the Hermit Crab Patch. They were the only ones who followed the HCA policy of not shipping in winter weather.
Ah, I gotcha! I read this entire thread a few months back and could swear people were only receiving crabs in summer/fall. Then again this is a huge thread and it probably all got jumbled together.
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 am

gotta-crab-em-all wrote:Ah, I gotcha! I read this entire thread a few months back and could swear people were only receiving crabs in summer/fall. Then again this is a huge thread and it probably all got jumbled together.
She started taking pre-orders for crabs in February/March and didn't ship until October (?) because that's when the crabs finally arrived in the country. LHC ships year-round so long as they have crabs in stock.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:51 am

sugarselections wrote: Although it's not completely impossible, there's really no chance you'll get your crabs by Christmas. Many times people wait months and months for their crabs from LHC. It's up to you whether you want to cancel the order or try to wait it out.
I'm guessing there isn't anyone else to order from? We're in So Cal, so we don't have winter weather, so I wasn't too concerned about shipping in the winter. Unfortunately, pet stores that sell animals are kind of not a thing down here, so I'm having a hard time finding a good selection of crabs. I've even been checking Craigslist in case someone has some to rehome.

I find the lack of communication to be a major issue. If I had gotten a response within a few days then I would be happy to wait it out, and I could make some sort of excuse to the kids. I sent the first email 6 days ago with no response whatsoever.

Bummer. I guess I'm going to send her another e-mail saying if I don't hear something withing 24 or 48 hours I will contact my credit card and dispute the charges. And then start calling pet shops and see what I can find for them.

It's silly, they're gifts for the kids, but I was looking forward to them, too, so I'm kind of bummed out!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:09 pm

coffee cup wrote: We're in So Cal, so we don't have winter weather, so I wasn't too concerned about shipping in the winter.
Please consider where the crabs are coming from, as well. LHC ships from New Jersey, so the crabs would be traveling through the coldest part of the country before they got to you. Even of they were closer, packages can be routed through unexpected places so the shipping company can save the most money, and be exposed to winter weather that way. The only worry is that heat packs can and have failed before, and the problem with exposure to the cold is that it's a slow killer of hermits - they tend to linger for several weeks before for they pass.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:07 pm

I sent a third and final e-mail today letting her know that I will dispute the charges if I don't hear from her ASAP. I don't mind waiting, but the lack of communication is unacceptable. I'll let you know if I hear back. I have a feeling I'll be calling my credit card company on Friday afternoon.

I was under the impression she had these crabs instock and ready to ship now because some of the species on her website say out of stock. That led me to believe that the others would go out right away. And I paid extra for the even faster shipping, so they would spend less time in transit.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:13 am

So, obviously, I never heard from her. One of my kids had an appointment Friday afternoon, so I didn't have a chance to contact my credit card company. I will do so first thing Monday morning and then go on a hunt for some crabs in town for the kids.

One the bright side, my husband had a chance to make some little elevated crab shelves and ramps for the new tank. Even with the LHC issues, I'm really excited about the new set up for the ones we have, and the new ones. If the owner of LHC had only contacted me, I would have waited for the strawberries. They're super cute, and I would have been a good customer for her since we have the disposable income, but I guess she doesn't want our money. Too bad, because I want her crabs. :)

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm sorry you had such a rough time with LHC. I've been through this a couple times now, and just know this is how things will be. If you go in and expect the worst but hope for the best, the let down is more manageable!! It's really probably better off that they aren't at risk with the weather, though, in the long run.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:20 am

I've sent an e-mail asking her to cancel the order and that I would be calling my credit card company. No response. I've been busy with Christmas (who isn't?) but I'm going to call my credit card company to get my money back once I have time. I really don't think she has any intention to ship these crabs.

In the meantime, I found another place with strawberries in stock and placed an order this week. I have a ship notice already and they should be here before Christmas. I'm very relieved. I was so worried that I messed up Christmas for the kids. I'll let you know how things work out.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:39 am

I would be more concerned with the weather and temps as far as winter mailing of crabs goes. From what I understand Straws are some of the most sensitive to heat/humidity drops and most reputable suppliers will not mail during the winter months because of this.

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:09 pm

I wanted to give an update. I still have never heard from LHC. No crabs. No refund. I still have to contact my credit card company, but I've been busy with Christmas.

The second company I bought the straws from shipped them right away. They got here very quickly. They look great! Big healthy active crabs. My husband was here when they showed up and he said they were very vigorous when he pulled them out of the bag. They've gotten a bath, they knocked all the ramps down off the platforms, and then settled in for a rest.I'm super happy with them and the other vendor. The kids are going to be over the moon, and I'm so excited for Christmas morning!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Well, that's good news! What is the company you ordered from successfully? It sounds like a company we should all know about.

By the way, be sure to post Christmas pictures of your kids and the crabs :) .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

coffee cup

Post by coffee cup » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:29 pm

I ordered them from Reptile City. They shipped same day express right away, and I'm really happy with how healthy the crabs are! They are so much healthier than the ones at Petco. They're settling in really nicely. One is really skittish and isn't coming out much, but the others are very busy at night. Our PP's are loving the 50 gal upgrade. They are zipping all over the place! It's crazy! The straws aren't as busy, but they have a lot to get used to.