Alaska Hermit food store open for business! SALE 1/17/2014

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Re: Alaska Hermit food store open for business! :D SALE 5/22

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah, AK may be sorta big and to the north, but we are part of the U.S. ;) Shipping rules are exactly the same as for the lower 48. It's just too risky for a small operation like me to ship to Canada. There is too great of a risk of losing the package and/or the money. If the package gets confiscated at customs, all a customer would need to do is file a claim with paypal saying they didn't get it, and I lose all the money.

Technically, I need a permit or two to send animal and plant matter over the border, which I am guessing THCP has. The rules are very vague.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

wolfnipplechips wrote:Yeah, AK may be sorta big and to the north, but we are part of the U.S. ;) Shipping rules are exactly the same as for the lower 48. It's just too risky for a small operation like me to ship to Canada. There is too great of a risk of losing the package and/or the money. If the package gets confiscated at customs, all a customer would need to do is file a claim with paypal saying they didn't get it, and I lose all the money.

Technically, I need a permit or two to send animal and plant matter over the border, which I am guessing THCP has. The rules are very vague.

Hrmm... it appears that customs allows dried plant matter through. I don't think you need a permit. I am still looking at it and I will PM you if I find out that you don't need a permit! :D
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Chelsea, wolf has made it very clear that she's not open to shipping to Canada at this time. Each member and each store has that right, and it's not very polite to keep bugging her about it when she's already said no. International shipping is a hassle, and it's risky as the store can loose both money and face fines if they do something wrong. There is no risk at all for the buyer, but there is a ton of risk for the seller and it's not right asking her to put herself in that position if she doesn't want to be.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I should of shut up. I always keep expanding the conversation. :| I was just trying to do her a favour as she showed interest into shipping to international.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Added some new products. :) Spinach, celery, and cucumber! All grown by yours truly! :D

Later in the season, I will also add strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce (if it behaves while drying), basil, cilantro, carrots, carrot leaves, radish, kale, swiss chard, rhubarb, and a few other things I'm growing. I won't have very much since my main purpose of growing this stuff of course it to eat it and share with my crabs. I'd suggest if you want a ton of home grown garden goodies, to stalk wodesorel this fall. My crabs go nuts for her stuff. :crabbigsmile:
Crabby since May 2009

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks! :blush: Not sure how great it'll be though..... I have a chipmunk family that moved in and is eating everything before it even sprouts. :evil: I think wolf'll have a much better selection that me this year! I've yet to get a single corn plant up...
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 am

Oh no! I have been lucky with my garden this year, lots of rain and healthy growing.

a_little_crabby

Post by a_little_crabby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm

I just placed an order. :D You know you love your crabs when you buy them moose poop.
PP: Mr. Tea () & Crumpits () - 2/23/13
E: Orange Dreamsicle () - 3/25/13, Sprite () - 5/6/13
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/arthre ... t=3&page=1
I make nets to fit your crabitat. PM if interested.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:06 pm

a_little_crabby wrote:I just placed an order. :D You know you love your crabs when you buy them moose poop.
Just packed it and am about to take it to the PO! :D Hope they like the poo. :) Oddly, it's one of my most favorite things to collect. Just because it's fun tracking mooses through the snow looking for buried treasure. And getting weird looks from skiers. 8)
Crabby since May 2009

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:32 pm

CallaLily wrote:So excited! My husband finally gave me the go ahead to place an order. Mooooossseee Poooooopp! :banana: :banana:

ETA: My order arrived today. Everything looks great! Thank you, Wolf, for the free sample of moose! Can't wait to see how the crabs like their new foods. :D

Just wanted to add that all the foods I ordered were a big hit. Especially the moose poop! Plus my boys have had great fun laughing at me for ordering/having poop for the crabs (this includes not only my 3 sons but my husband too :lol: ).

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

She's right though, all the best actors/comedians in Hollywood are Canadian, or Jewish. Imagine how funny a Canadian Jew would be!

a_little_crabby

Post by a_little_crabby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:09 pm

My crabs are loving the stuff! They've been dragging the deer around the tank and nibbling on it. Thanks for the great products!
PP: Mr. Tea () & Crumpits () - 2/23/13
E: Orange Dreamsicle () - 3/25/13, Sprite () - 5/6/13
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/arthre ... t=3&page=1
I make nets to fit your crabitat. PM if interested.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

It's been months, but when I open the baggy, it still has that nice fresh "new poop" smell... :hearts:
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Glad they like the stuff!! :) Makes me happy when other crabs enjoy the bounty! :D

Just an update on the store. I collected fireweed flowers yesterday since I'm almost out. OMG the mosquitoes were so bad! And I don't wear bug spray when I collect stuff for obvious reasons. :P I am pretty much one giant bug bite...but I think I got enough flowers to last about a year! :D I collected until my fingers blistered. I also may be able to lower the price on them since I biked and walked instead of drove. My crabs had a feast on them last night. Gave some to the isopods, too. :) Should be added to the store sometime next week.

I also grew some radishes and dehydrated them yesterday. I hate the smell of fresh radish, but they smell so sweet when dry! I only have three bags of radish because they shrink so much. They should be added next week as well.

I also have carrot tops (the greens!) that I dried and am bagging. I dried them outside on a windy day, so there are also birch and dandelion seeds in them. :oops: Oh well.

I also am adding more dandelion roots (lowered the price on them, added more to all the bags), more wild roses (but wasn't able to get as much this year), more cucumber, more dall sheep poop (lowered the price on it), peony petals, and a couple more things.

In August, I will have more beach stuff like muscle shells, crab exo (cross your fingers), etc.
Crabby since May 2009

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:44 pm

RockyGurly wrote:It's been months, but when I open the baggy, it still has that nice fresh "new poop" smell... :hearts:
:lol: Ewwwwww rocky.
Crabby since May 2009