Alaska Hermit food store open for business! SALE 1/17/2014

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

MuseCrazy

Alaska Hermit food store open for business! SALE 1/17/2014

Post by MuseCrazy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:38 pm

I just ordered some moose poop! And other stuff. I'm excited to get stuff all the way from Alaska :D

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Re: Alaska Hermit food store open for business! SALE 1/17/20

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Your order went out today MuseCrazy!

Soososososoooo I added some new stuff. I added cattails, bulk moose poop, and variety packs of different stuff. You can find them through the site, or just look at it here at the end of the list of all my foods: http://alaskahermit.com/page/7/?product_cat=foods

The packs are cheaper than buying all the stuff individually on sale prices! :)
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:53 pm

You would add some more good stuff after I've already ordered :p
The veggie pack looks like a really good value

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm going to be adding a bunch of E shells (both modded and unmodded) today or tomorrow. It will depend on my internet connection and how I feel after my 5 mile walk I'm about to take (yay not having a vehicle).

I didn't want to include them in the shell lot I sold in the classified section last week because I wanted everybody to have a shot at getting some since they are sizes and types that are difficult to find. I'm going to have a lot of larger, non-commercial D-shaped shells, including many "magic moon" shells. hahaha Wodesorel you're awesome. So anybody with small-large E's will want to keep an eye out. I'll do another post on here once I've added them.

As always, the shipping calculator may overcharge you when ordering shells. If it charges you the $14 shipping, and I can ship it cheaper (~80% of the time I can), I WILL refund you the difference. Shipping it cheaper may require me to send two boxes instead of one. I'll let you know if this is the case of course, just a heads up.

:)
Crabby since May 2009

cwheeling

Post by cwheeling » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 pm

I hope to get some E shells this time. Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently have 10 PP's Ella, Robert, Digger, Bruddy, Shelly, Itty, Hermie, clyde, Croix and clover in a 75G
Bitty, Crusty and Crabby my 3 E's in the 75g
11 more in a 46b 9/18/14
Just rescued a stowaway from St Croix 8/10/14

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Ok, just finished putting them on the site. You can see them all at: http://alaskahermit.com/?product_cat=shells There are a couple pages.

Some of you are going to think I'm outta my mind when you see the prices on a few of them. You have to keep in mind 1.) Most are not commercially available. 2.) If they are, mine are larger than the commercially available ones. 3.) Even some of my non-commercial ones are hard-to-find sizes. 4.) Many of them I hand-collected on the beach myself over the coarse of several years (hard to find, took time to clean dead snail out of them). 5.) Many have been modified by my crabs which takes time, and it's really difficult to find modified shells for sale. 6.) By me not giving them away for next to nothing, more people have a chance at getting some, not one person taking most or all.

So yeah, basically, I think the prices are fair. I'm sorry that they are high, but they are worth it!
Crabby since May 2009

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Gah!! You have Starry Moons after I no longer have Es. Of course. :roll: I spent three years trying to find more of those!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 am

wodesorel wrote:Gah!! You have Starry Moons after I no longer have Es. Of course. :roll: I spent three years trying to find more of those!
What happened to your E's?

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am

I got my package! A day early too ;)

Can't believe I actually bought poo. Gonna have a hard time explaining this to my boyfriend :hlol:
Thanks for the cooked moose!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am

My husband thinks I need crabs anonymous because I buy poop for the crabs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:What happened to your E's?
I went from eleven crabs in their own dedicated 55 gallon species tank to three over the course of a year because they kept eating each other during molts, and by that point I was so heartbroken I rehomed them. Sach was kind enough to take them, and they're sort of behaving for her. (NabbE is a pain, no matter where he is.)

While I had them though, the two intact Starry Moon shells I had originally gotten from sugarselections were in constant use, and they were basically nothing but baseball caps from modification after three years of near non-stop wear. Never could find more of them. And of course the Magic Moon shells from wolf were also a hit when I still had small Es, and they modded 5 of them in just a few months. I still have a couple of them on hand in case of an emergency rescue. :)

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Wow, 8 crabs gone in a year? I only have 2 E's right now they're in a tank with 2 PP's. I haven't seen any aggression coming from the E's just the PP's. They're so cute it's hard to cope with their cannibalistic ways :/

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:04 pm

After I head from you that they liked the starry moon snail shells, I went hunting for them online. Any commercial ones I found were too small (HCP has some now, but not when I was looking), so I bought from collectors overseas on ebay. Bought any I could find in the 40-50mm range. It was expensive, but they like them. :)

My E's have almost disappeared too. That's why I'm selling off their shells. I don't want to get any more. When I had three med-large ones, it was all fine. They had no issues for years. But I brought home the monkeys and all heck broke loose after a year or so. My E's slowly disappeared. I know they were cannibalizing during molts. They got plenty of protein and calcium, and you know I worked my butt off to get them all shells they would love, so not sure why they turned evil. I even moved them to a separate tanks for a while to see if that would help. Nope.

I really miss them. Especially Crazy Eyes, one of my originals. And Spider. He was so crazy. I'm not sure who the last one is. It's either Smiles (one of my originals), or Nakey (one who survived attack after attack underground). He/She is large and docile so hopefully won't cause problems with the other crabs. I think larger E's (in my experience) are less...evil. If I ever get my last one a species buddy, I'm going to get a large one. No more monkeys for me!
Crabby since May 2009

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:38 am

I'm so sorry you had E troubles, too. :( They're either saints or devils.

Wanted to share:

Apparently I didn't give them a large enough pit with your Auke Bay moss. Apparently they don't like sharing. Apparently some crab dragged half of it out of the pit and knocked it over the edge into the water bowl. :roll: So a bunch of the little guys had a lot of fun making a real mess of it.

Also, I think it may be growing! :D Going to have to put some of what's left in with the frog.

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm starting to look at my E's all different now :/ I only have 2 so maybe they won't eat each other for the sake of having a buddy.

How do you get the moss to grow? My guys have completely deserted the sphagnum moss since I added a second pit with the Auke Bay moss :hlol: