LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Leeko

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by Leeko » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 am

I got two straws, two indos, and two violas. All small, all in decent shape. Half of them have moderate wounds of one kind or another; mostly broken leg segments, but one of the indos had the tip of one of its pincer-tips on its BP neatly cut off somehow. The violas have mites, but none of the others did. They are isolated for now; they seem to be mite-free after a few dunks in salt water, but I am giving it 24 hours in case there are eggs hanging around on 'em. The indos are ridiculously shy and started off sluggish, but they changed out of the gigantic, nearly fossilized shells they came in and seem a bit better. The straws have been exploring cautiously and won't leave the salt water dish. The four that are currently integrating into my main tank have seen a bit of bullying; one of my Es is pushing them around but this happens every time I introduce new crabs. In fact, the bully used to be my shyest crab. I can't wait until the new crabs acclimate enough to be so brave!

In all, I am quite satisfied with my purchase. We will see how their health holds out in the long-run, but (knock on wood!) they don't seem to have any PPS symptoms that I can tell. I would post pics but I can't seem to locate my camera.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:05 am

Is there a chance the others will have or get mites since they were shipped together? I'm asking because I also ordered multiple species and while I could iso a few I could not put all of them in there because its only a 10g.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Leeko

Post by Leeko » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 am

mom23 wrote:Is there a chance the others will have or get mites since they were shipped together? I'm asking because I also ordered multiple species and while I could iso a few I could not put all of them in there because its only a 10g.
Certainly, and this is why you will want to isolate mite-infested crabs.

I'm sure your new crabs can stand a couple days of overcrowding in a small tank for mite treatment. On the other hand, you could always order some h. miles, predatory mites, which will take care of the problem very thoroughly.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am

All of the new crabs are going into a new tank and I've decided to keep the pp's in the 55 for now since all but 2 are molting so maybe I'll fork out the $ for h.miles.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Leeko

Post by Leeko » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 am

Just make sure your new crabs don't get a chance to burrow to molt if they have mites. That's how you get a never-ending cycle of molters preserving your parasitic mite population. If that happens it will take 2-3 more doses of predator mites and a lot of luck to get rid of the infestation.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 am

Oh with my luck that'll happen. I think I'll just have to wait and see what the situation is and then decide. Did you iso yours with no substrate? I've not yet had to iso anyone.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 pm

I will have to try the pred mites :)
Last edited by CrabbyJ on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:17 pm

You should keep crabs in a sterile location if you are treating for mites. No sub, moist paper towels and a hidey. If you use the preds, you don't need to be so extreme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah I decided to try the pred mites, been researching a few sites for them :)
Last edited by CrabbyJ on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:31 am

mom23 wrote:Oh with my luck that'll happen. I think I'll just have to wait and see what the situation is and then decide. Did you iso yours with no substrate? I've not yet had to iso anyone.
When dealing with mites, it will need to be sterile. This should help :)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92530
It's a lot easier to just iso new crabs and nip them in the bud
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 am

I thought exotics were very sensitive so to speak and should be kept in optimal conditions. Does bathing them often and keeping them in a sterile enviroment not bother them? I don't want to send them into pps. I'm still new to crabbing in general and of course have no experience with exotics so all advice welcome. My other question is since they are all shipped together and if some of them have mites and others don't (when I first bathe them) is it a possibility I'll miss some and they'll get into the tank anyway? Thanks everyone for your help!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 am

Also how long do you iso crabs with mites? To make sure there weren't eggs etc?

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:54 am

Rocky wrote: When dealing with mites, it will need to be sterile. This should help :)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92530
It's a lot easier to just iso new crabs and nip them in the bud
Thank you for this link!!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 am

Got it! Thanks! I had read that whole link before but obviously forgot the bath instructions were on there.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:27 am

Did anyone here order in August?