LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

mom23

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by mom23 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

If anyone is interested LHC is running a holiday special. Use promo code holiday15 and get 15% of your live order. I believe delivery is before Christmas if ordered by December 16th.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Just note - I don't think there's a live arrival guarantee on orders placed after 11/1, so unless the holiday special is an exception you're ordering at your own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Well I thought I would update since it's been a while :) The crabs finished their treatment and are in the main tanks. The straws went into my more established tank and went down to molt that night. The viola's, ruggs and indo's are in my other tank with a couple pp's and e's. I believe both violas and an indo went down to molt but both ruggs and a indo is seen throughout the day :) All the crabs get along well, my jumbo in the tank with the straws was riding on the straws shells for a while and so was my 1st crab apollo, it was a weird initiation! Anyway they are doing fine, acting normal like the others so we shall see how it goes when they come up from their molts! I'll update as more happens :) How are everyone else's crabs doing? :D

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 am

Hello everyone,

So, I recently received an order from livehermitcrabs and I thought I would share my experience. Firstly, it starts with a message sent to them on a Sunday night asking if they would even ship here to Minnesota at this time of year. I received a reply within an hour or two saying they would, that the crabs would be shipped to the post office for me to pick up, which I appreciated. I've had fish shipped in winter successfully and I know that, if packed properly, winter shipping can be safe, so I wasn't too concerned. Anyway, the email said if I placed an order by the following day that it would be shipped that week. I placed my order for three strawberries, two violas, and two Es.

Later, I received an email asking if I would prefer Wednesday shipping for Thursday pickup or Thursday shipping for Friday pickup. Friday pickup worked better with my work schedule, so that is what I requested. I really appreciated being given a choice - they didn't have to do that. They could have shipped them whenever it was most convenient for them, you know ?

I picked up my package from the post office on Friday and was overall please with the packing. There *maybe* could have been a second heater in the box, but I can see where there might be concerns of overheating. All seven of my crabs arrived alive and well. No extras, but I am okay with that since my crabitat is going to be a bit crowded anyway.

I believe they do have mites, but I've never dealt with mites before so I am not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I've seen the pictures, yes, but a close up picture and an actual live crab are two different things. I am doing a sterile ISO just to be safe, with psper towel substrate and salt water baths. They all are active and healthy, especially the one I have dubbed Miss E.

Overall, I am very happy with my experience with livehermitcrabs. I received a very propmt reply to my question, fast service, and the crabs are doing great. Yeah there is the possible issue of the mites but I think they aren't lying when they say they try to treat the crabs for mites, but likely they don't keep the crabs long enough for proper treatment. We do, after all, want our crabs as soon as possible.

I imagine they have learned from past mistakes as well. They saw folks coming to places like this with complaints and wanted to do better. At least, I can only hope that is the case. I hope I am not just a fluke!

turbotbird

Post by turbotbird » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:09 pm

lessthansign3 wrote:Hello everyone,

So, I recently received an order from livehermitcrabs and I thought I would share my experience. Firstly, it starts with a message sent to them on a Sunday night asking if they would even ship here to Minnesota at this time of year. I received a reply within an hour or two saying they would, that the crabs would be shipped to the post office for me to pick up, which I appreciated. I've had fish shipped in winter successfully and I know that, if packed properly, winter shipping can be safe, so I wasn't too concerned. Anyway, the email said if I placed an order by the following day that it would be shipped that week. I placed my order for three strawberries, two violas, and two Es.

Later, I received an email asking if I would prefer Wednesday shipping for Thursday pickup or Thursday shipping for Friday pickup. Friday pickup worked better with my work schedule, so that is what I requested. I really appreciated being given a choice - they didn't have to do that. They could have shipped them whenever it was most convenient for them, you know ?

I picked up my package from the post office on Friday and was overall please with the packing. There *maybe* could have been a second heater in the box, but I can see where there might be concerns of overheating. All seven of my crabs arrived alive and well. No extras, but I am okay with that since my crabitat is going to be a bit crowded anyway.

I believe they do have mites, but I've never dealt with mites before so I am not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I've seen the pictures, yes, but a close up picture and an actual live crab are two different things. I am doing a sterile ISO just to be safe, with psper towel substrate and salt water baths. They all are active and healthy, especially the one I have dubbed Miss E.

Overall, I am very happy with my experience with livehermitcrabs. I received a very propmt reply to my question, fast service, and the crabs are doing great. Yeah there is the possible issue of the mites but I think they aren't lying when they say they try to treat the crabs for mites, but likely they don't keep the crabs long enough for proper treatment. We do, after all, want our crabs as soon as possible.

I imagine they have learned from past mistakes as well. They saw folks coming to places like this with complaints and wanted to do better. At least, I can only hope that is the case. I hope I am not just a fluke!
This is almost exactly how my experience went last week. I was willing to risk it since florida weather was good incase the heat pack got weak. Mine had no mites.

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 pm

I just wanted to update I found my 2nd Dead LHC Crab today while changing the water, this time it was a indo :(

phx_mike

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com ... buried

Post by phx_mike » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 am

I had a pretty good experience with LHC... ordered 2 EEs recently and they shipped me 3. It took a long time for them to ship, but they apologized and said they had been swamped with orders. Once they did tell me they shipped them, they came right away and were well packed. It's only been about a week, but all three were lively. Two of them went under the sand, but one comes up at night still. As far as I know they are just chilling underground with my PPs.

I have to think though that getting live animals shipped through the mail is a pretty stressful, risky endeavor ... I'd be surprised if we DIDN'T get some occasional deaths. If I find that any have died I will post an update.

Speaking of being buried in the sand ... Almost all of my PetSmart PPs and my LHC EEs all went under the sand almost immediately when I brought them home. Out of 8 crabs, I think 2 are coming out regularly at night. Maybe more are but I'm not seeing them. Is it normal for that to occur with a new crab or batch of crabs? I was thinking that they are harvested, shipped, stored, etc. for months probably before being purchased so maybe when they get into a good tat with good conditions they jump at the change to molt. I know sometimes they just need to destress a while underground also. But was wondering if staying underground a lot upon arrival in their permanent home is fairly normal. Thanks for the info.
Phx_Mike
[5 PPs and 3 Es]

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:18 am

I waited a long time for my LHC order, but she was nice and I know she was having to wait for her supplier to deliver them to her. One (that I know of) passed away, but I placed a big order and I agree that they all aren't going to survive the journey and transition. I see about half of mine. I'm guessing some are molting and some only come out when I'm asleep. I had one indo sit in a moss pit for 3 weeks. I finally picked him up to see if he was alive and right away he switched shells, ate and drank and has been out and about ever since. I think they can de-stress for a long time. My tank is so big with so many hiding spots it's hard to get a head count. I just keep my eyes open to see who's out. I know at least 4 indos and 2 ruggies I haven't seen in weeks. A couple of straws and maybe a viola too (they all look the same). I hope they are molting.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

lefty

Post by lefty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 am

my 7 straws are very healthy and only 2 went down , which is odd i thought , but these guys are piggies!!!!! no casualties here so far. sorry for those who lost some :(
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

Tropical_Papi

Post by Tropical_Papi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Ok after skimming through almost the entire thread, I understand that this lady is awful with e-mails. Can any of you tell me about how long it takes her to reply?

I asked her when she will have Violas and Straws in small but of course she hasn't replied yet. Does anyone have any information about matters such as when she is getting more crabs from her supplier?

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 pm

I believe she is out of small violas. I'm not sure about straws. My guess is she'll answer you after the holidays. She's got kids out of school, and if it's anything like my house it's crazy :) . I don't know if she's getting another shipment before spring??? Maybe someone else knows that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylerrr

Post by skylerrr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 pm

IMO I wouldn't order from LHC because the crabs are taken from the wild and given to you unlike the petstore has bad conditions and you sort of save them... If you didn't order. Crab it would still be in the wild right?
[b][code]hi[/code][/b]

Topic author
kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:46 pm

skylerrr wrote:IMO I wouldn't order from LHC because the crabs are taken from the wild and given to you unlike the petstore has bad conditions and you sort of save them... If you didn't order. Crab it would still be in the wild right?
All crabs come from the wild. And buying a crab from a pet store isn't exactly "saving" the crab. It's actually giving the store profit, and encouraging them take more crabs from the wild to keep selling.
Plus the majority of the crabs from pet stores in bad conditions don't survive. It's quite sad.
Either way it's a bad situation for the poor crabs.

I'm considering ordering a few once April comes, hoping they'll be shipped before November. I need some species buddies for my Indo, and I'd like a few more rugs :) they're my favorite, just don't tell any of my other crabs!
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm

skylerrr wrote:IMO I wouldn't order from LHC because the crabs are taken from the wild and given to you unlike the petstore has bad conditions and you sort of save them... If you didn't order. Crab it would still be in the wild right?
I believe a place like LHC takes more care of their crabs than any pet store. And they don't go out and catch a crab based on your order, they get them in big shipments if you ordered or not.

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:17 pm

kip.rogers357 wrote:I'm considering ordering a few once April comes, hoping they'll be shipped before November. I need some species buddies for my Indo, and I'd like a few more rugs :) they're my favorite, just don't tell any of my other crabs!
I've been happy with my 5 Indos so far (3 of them are currently down, so I'll know more if/when they reappear). Their colors are lovely, and they're surprisingly outgoing little crabs! (One sleeps right at the front of the tank.) If the Indos you order in April are from the same batch that arrived in October, I'd definitely go for it!
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit