LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

SachOfSCP

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by SachOfSCP » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:54 pm

CrabbyJ wrote:
What did everyone order??? (To kill the time) :hlol:

I ordered just blues this time around :)
Figures; I ordered straws and Aussies. :(
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

Amazilia

Post by Amazilia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:11 pm

I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm waiting to see some Cavipe pictures once people get their orders but I plan on ordering Cavipes (if they really are Cavipes) along with a few Violas and Indos. If I don't get Cavipes then I plan on getting 4 Violas and 3 Indos.
20 Purple Pinchers in a 200g,10 Ecuadorians in a 40g,1 Salmon Pink Tarantula: Susie
2 Inca dogs: Rufus(Red&white hairless) & Lilac(White half-hairless), 1 Cinnamon Ferret: Smooch
2 Button Quails: Ruth & Dove, 6 Lovebirds,3 Chickens: Jade, Yin & Lace

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:48 pm

I ordered blues, cavipes, and Aussies and also a viola, ruggie and straws. I want to add one viola to my 3 and I lost a ruggie and a straw :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

FloridaSun

Post by FloridaSun » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Oh my goodness, I just read through this entire thread :covereyes: :covereyes:
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm

That is why my attitude is they'll get here when they get here. There's always a chance they might not even get here if something happens with her suppliers ;). I don't get upset about it though because my options of purchasing exotics are pretty much limited to LHC. It is obviously not the easiest business or more people would do it. My 2 experiences with her have been fine. Yes I waited a long time the first time and no she doesn't email me right away each time I email her, but I can live with that because I love the crabs I've received from her. I'm not burning this bridge. She's always been very nice to me and I am nice to her. :)

It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

FloridaSun

Post by FloridaSun » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 pm

I agree with you. I have sent emails and even though a quick response is not given I eventually hear from her. To be honest, what's the alternative on getting exotics???? If anything I get refunded.
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:55 pm

That's my thought too.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 am

I am not pinpointing anyone in particular, but from what I have seen here and another forum I am shocked at some of the behavior. Give the lady a break who owns LHC with the emails & judgements. I just ordered some crabs from her and I wouldn't dream about emailing her. I realize that these things take time, and spamming her email isn't going to make the crabs arrive any sooner. Its not wonder people complain that they dont get a speedy response from her. Her email is flooded with complaints and constant requests for updates. Most of us, if not at all, are adults here. Practice PATIENCE lol. I even saw on the other forum(SACHS) someone complaining that they didnt get a free crab. "like omg I didnt get a free crab, IM NEVER buying there again" <--really? If I were that lady that runs LHC i'd throw my hands up in the air

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

jkd87 wrote:I am not pinpointing anyone in particular, but from what I have seen here and another forum I am shocked at some of the behavior. Give the lady a break who owns LHC with the emails & judgements. I just ordered some crabs from her and I wouldn't dream about emailing her. I realize that these things take time, and spamming her email isn't going to make the crabs arrive any sooner. Its not wonder people complain that they dont get a speedy response from her. Her email is flooded with complaints and constant requests for updates.
I think the main reason why people email her is that she tends to give misleading or downright WRONG information. (Ex: stating that a shipment will arrive in "late summer," only to have it arrive in October or November.) People seem to wait until the timetable SHE gives (in this case, early May when the crabs were suppose to arrive) before they start emailing her to ask "Hey, are the crabs in?" Unfortunately, her poor communication tends to lead to a landslide effect in which people start to get nervous after receiving no response (most people who order from LHC are not used to spending $100+ on exotic animals, nor are they used to live animal shipping) and repeatedly email her. Since people often have to take a day off from work or school (which may require advanced notice/approval), they get especially antsy when they're kept completely in the dark regarding shipping dates until 24-48 hrs before the crabs ship.

The other issue with LHC is that they're promoted as a business. This is not a site that presents itself as though it's run by a hobbyist who is only selling crabs on the side (and thus needs to be cut some slack). This is not a site stating they're amateurs who are not capable of handling high volumes of business email. As a website/company that presents itself as professional, certain behaviors are expected. The least of these behaviors is prompt communication with customers, and providing CORRECT and up-to-date information to the public. Unprofessional behavior from a business that presents itself as professional can and SHOULD expect criticism and judgement from its consumers. If LHC is providing incorrect information about what legal papers need to be filed, why shouldn't we (the consumers) be suspicious? They're professionals - Act like it and provide correct information!

As to what I ordered - 2 Indos (hoping one survives as a Species Buddy for my one remaining Indo) and 4 Ruggies.
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

CrabbyJ

Post by CrabbyJ » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Florida sun, I got gray ruggs

What I believe LHC needs:
-Help returning emails
-Say orders can take (months) if pre order to get
-Don't give any dates "when" they could ship (Just say "We will notify you)
-Say "We have issues with supplies, and order can/will be delayed"
-Specify "We only give out an extra crab in the event of a DOA

& @Ammolite "AMEN!"
:)

mom23

LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by mom23 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I agree with some of the business comments and love CrabbyJ's suggestions on wording that would eliminate some of the expectations and frustrations of buyers. Fact is though that she does do this by herself and I do believe that she is at the mercy of suppliers from other parts of the world as to when and exactly what arrives. I don't think this is an exact science yet. I also think the red tape is a pain in the behind or more people would be in this business. My thought is order from LHC if you want to and if the business practices bother you then don't. I also have adopted my grandma's advice of if you want something it's easier to catch flies with honey.

crabbienewb

Post by crabbienewb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:54 pm

jkd87 wrote:
I am not pinpointing anyone in particular, but from what I have seen here and another forum I am shocked at some of the behavior. Give the lady a break who owns LHC with the emails & judgements. I just ordered some crabs from her and I wouldn't dream about emailing her. I realize that these things take time, and spamming her email isn't going to make the crabs arrive any sooner. Its not wonder people complain that they dont get a speedy response from her. Her email is flooded with complaints and constant requests for updates.
It's a business, getting emails from people about your order are to be expected. They are live animals, orders were placed months ago, it's past the dates she was supposed to receive them, no one here has any idea when or even if they are getting their crabs, and people spent hundreds. This is 100% normal and the type of thing that any business would deal with if they were not keeping people updated. A simple mass email update to customers takes no time, or a website update, and would cut down on the emails. Some people are buying and setting up tanks just for the crabs they ordered.

I have nothing bad to say about her, but all of these problems are easily avoidable by a simple update, it's not hard to update a website, or send out a mass email to customers, it would take just as long as replying to 1 single email, and would avoid all these issues.
Last edited by crabbienewb on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:06 pm

jkd87 wrote:I am not pinpointing anyone in particular, but from what I have seen here and another forum I am shocked at some of the behavior. Give the lady a break who owns LHC with the emails & judgements. I just ordered some crabs from her and I wouldn't dream about emailing her. I realize that these things take time, and spamming her email isn't going to make the crabs arrive any sooner. Its not wonder people complain that they dont get a speedy response from her. Her email is flooded with complaints and constant requests for updates. Most of us, if not at all, are adults here. Practice PATIENCE lol. I even saw on the other forum(SACHS) someone complaining that they didnt get a free crab. "like omg I didnt get a free crab, IM NEVER buying there again" <--really? If I were that lady that runs LHC i'd throw my hands up in the air
Since you actually DID pinpoint & call out my forum in your post (in all caps, no less) I am glad I am here to respond.
*I was likely the poster you are referring to (in that TWO YEAR OLD THREAD) who "complained" about not getting a free crab. (you're also mixing up the posts from several people in a thread that is more than 12 pages long) I mentioned it in passing because at that time I had previously ordered crabs from her for another person who DID receive a free crab (I received the email saying they shipped, by the way...AFTER the person received the crabs, good thing she was home at the time) when the order I placed for myself ( crabs that were FAR smaller than the "mediums" I ordered, in broken shells, etc) did not include one. I expressed that I understood it was not a standard practice but when 90% of the reviews listed on her site mention the free crab it's obviously there as a selling point and to wait months (without communication) to get crabs that weren't the size ordered & were in broken shells, a heavily advertised free crab seemed like a no-brainer. I also mentioned this on my forum; as an American citizen, I'm allowed to complain about what I want, when I want-especially on my own forum.
*If you read the whole thread you'd see how she made promises to people then went back on them, had an attitude when contacted (if she bothered to respond), seemed to only respond to people dropping A LOT of money, the crabs dropped like flies within months of shipping & one of those people's straws came with so much sludge packed into their shells it took them a week of bathing themselves to clear it out.
*As was mentioned above if a business takes your money for a product and says it will be available on X date, then when it's not going to be available by that date they have an obligation to inform the customer of that; that's just good business practice. I agree that it would be REALLY simple to just update the info on the site and/or send out a mass email to customers. After all, none of us made her wait for the money.
*Some of these people ordered these crabs in JANUARY; this means they are going on 6 months waiting; I ordered in March myself.
*This is literally the only business that is able to "get away with" these types of practices because after all as was said above she holds the monopoly on selling exotics in the US so people put up with it when you know they wouldn't stand for it coming from someone like Amazon or eBay.
*As was also mentioned this is supposed to be a business and so should be conducted like one. There's no contact phone number and looking up their info it appears that there are 2 businesses (neither being listed, licensed or even mentioning animals; let alone crabs) being run out of a house; if she's just some random hobbyist selling crabs and can't keep up with the volume of customers whose money is rolling into her bank account then she shouldn't take orders she can't process. I don't run my business like that and I AM a hobbyist selling stuff out of my home (something I disclose freely).
*I can only speak for myself but since the details of my order were ironed out, I have sent ONE email inquiring about it (which by the way didn't even address the question I had on the overage I paid being refunded). I don't know how you know or can assume that her inbox is being spammed etc by disgruntled customers.
*She is obviously being misleading at the least & downright dishonest at the most as to the reasons why the crabs aren't available yet; there is no justification in the world for doing that if you are supposed to be a reputable business; none.
*As was mentioned several of us have literally spent 100s of dollars on these orders; this is money that in my case I am okay with spending if I am getting crabs out of it (not that I didn't have to save to get the money) but in the meantime may as well have just been thrown away since I have nothing to show for it.

Now, on a personal aside (admins, I know you'll remove this if I shouldn't be saying it), you've admitted to perusing my forum though I don't recognize your name or avatar and you joined here just a few days ago & your one & only post is in this thread...to defend LHC and to call out not just people rightfully complaining but to single me & my forum out in the middle of it? This is very suspect in my opinion.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Make all the assumptions you want Sachs. I am new to the "hermit crab world", but I do my research. When I have a hobby I tend to obsess. I read so much on this forum & yours. It doesnt take a braniac to see that LHC is being spammed, due to the fact that every other hobbyist pastes their emails in this post. The other piece of info I gather is that I haven't heard of this lady stiffing anyone, so just slow your rolls. Like Mom23 said you get more bees with honey then you do with vinegar (or something like that.) & for the record I wish I were that crab lady from LHC because I wouldnt sell you any :P

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Before this turns into a shouting match lets all take a step back. No personal attacks, please!

This is a review & discussion topic, and it has been left perpetually open so that members who are waiting for shipments have a chance to discuss their orders and delays and commiserate about the wait.

Waiting is hard, and every year around this time tempers start flaring because of it. Usually it progresses to the point where we have to consider shutting the topic down completely and in the past we've had to go in and edit out some pretty nasty fights.

Please, for everyone's sake - let's not have that happen again this year! :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram