LiveHermitCrabs.com

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

mom23

Re: LiveHermitCrabs.com

Post by mom23 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:44 pm

They are coming in the Indonesian order. Only Aussies are coming directly from an Australian exporter.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 pm

mom23 wrote:Could be??? She didn't specify any timeline for shipping. I *think* one Indonesian order is in but she is awaiting a second. I ordered Aussies so regardless I'm on the wait list since they'll ship together. I have no idea how it'll turn out. Couldn't even begin to guess. I think once they're in everyone will get theirs. Those of us that ordered early will just have the longest wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I did too and I ordered in March so I'll likely be somewhere in the middle set of orders that have Aussies.
Sach's All Natural Crab Food & Supply Store!
http://sachscrabpagestore.com/

mom23

Post by mom23 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm

I ordered in March too. I think March is when she started taking pre-orders so we should be towards the front of the line :)

I will try emailing her and inquiring about when shipping could begin, but I'm not sure she'll know.

It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:41 am

we see this every year, it's going to be delayed a bunch of times and a lot of people will ask for refunds before anyone starts getting theirs. Lots of people complain, some back her up. In the end, we're going to see this next year too, and the year after.. etc..

All you can do is wait.

FloridaSun

Post by FloridaSun » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:39 am

kuza wrote:we see this every year, it's going to be delayed a bunch of times and a lot of people will ask for refunds before anyone starts getting theirs. Lots of people complain, some back her up. In the end, we're going to see this next year too, and the year after.. etc..

All you can do is wait.
:hlol:
4 PP, 4 Ruggies

“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 am

kuza wrote:we see this every year, it's going to be delayed a bunch of times and a lot of people will ask for refunds before anyone starts getting theirs. Lots of people complain, some back her up. In the end, we're going to see this next year too, and the year after.. etc..

All you can do is wait.
This. I sit back and watch every year. With popcorn. Better than daytime tv. :lol:

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:58 am

CallaLily wrote: This. I sit back and watch every year. With popcorn. Better than daytime tv. :lol:
Lol! I'm sooo busy with my kids out of school I don't have time to think about it. After my first 2 times ordering I just adopted the attitude of they'll come when/if they come. My son actually FORGOT we ordered until I mentioned hearing from her. :)

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm

You know if less of us were willing to put up with it....she'd be forced to get her act together I'd think. I get it if the problem is all supplier related, etc but then you don't take pre-orders until you have them in your hot little hands. That just seems like bad business to me.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:03 pm

I wish I knew how to get in touch with suppliers & start my own hermit crab business. I live on a ginormous farm with time on my hands and a love of crabs.

**If anyone can give me any direction, I am seriously interested!

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:24 pm

It's either just a lot of work for 1-2 people to do on their own, or the supplies really do screw her around every year. We'll likely never know. As long as she continues to be the only online supplier for exotics, she'll continue to run her business this way. I don't think she'll change cause it would have happened by now.

SachOfSCP

Post by SachOfSCP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:24 pm

kuza wrote:It's either just a lot of work for 1-2 people to do on their own, or the supplies really do screw her around every year. We'll likely never know. As long as she continues to be the only online supplier for exotics, she'll continue to run her business this way. I don't think she'll change cause it would have happened by now.

But that's my point; how long do you think she'd even be able to STAY in business if everyone started asking for refunds when crabs don't arrive on time? She'd be forced to wait to take orders until she got her shipments and then no one would have to wait.

I get that we all want exotics & that she's pretty much the only way to get them here, but she isn't gonna stop importing them (I'm sure she has enough customers who are die-hards). If we all started standing up for our rights as customers she wouldn't be able to get away with taking our money (and time) before she has the product available that we paid for. She'd still get exotics and we'd still buy them; she just would have to wait until she had them before charging for them. From what I understand, you aren't allowed by PayPal to collect money on pre-orders and then use the money to buy products you don't already have. Most businesses buy the product first & hope to make their money back by selling it; not take the money first & HOPE to even get the product in. I mean think about how dumb (I was trying to find a nice way & couldn't) it is to ask money for a product you don't even know for sure you will get? That's not just dumb, it's shady.

My point is if we stopped putting up with it; she'd only be able to sell what she already has in stock and then no one would be left waiting months for their crabs.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:40 pm

I think she uses pre-orders as a way to judge how many to buy from her suppliers. I'm sure she doesn't want to have a bunch of extra crabs. This is a one woman show here. Yes, it's an online business, but she's really just a regular person like we are trying to pull this off the best she can. I really don't think she enjoys it being crazy and having all of us breathing down her neck all the time. Fact remains she is the only person to sell exotics, at least available to me. I don't really think she's shady. At least I've never read about anyone not getting a refund if they wanted. I truly think it's just a crazy business dealing with importers from different countries and the paperwork and it's overwhelming. Yes I 100% think there's room for improvement, but I don't see anyone else taking on the task of selling them.

jillybeans

Post by jillybeans » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 pm

I just dont understand why she can't return emails in a timely manner, especially since she's clearly not packaging and sending hermit crabs! Also, she could still do pre-orders and not charge the customer until ready to send them. I work for my family's business, and I know its not the easiest, but I can't imagine straight up ignoring customers for weeks on end. With the exception of Mom23, it seems like no one really hears from her. I believed someone had mentioned sending a mass email with status updates or her website. That doesn't take long at all. At first I empathized, but the more I see, I am starting to realize that she isnt doing much of anything to help her cause.

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:19 pm

SachOfSCP wrote:
But that's my point; how long do you think she'd even be able to STAY in business if everyone started asking for refunds when crabs don't arrive on time? She'd be forced to wait to take orders until she got her shipments and then no one would have to wait.

I get that we all want exotics & that she's pretty much the only way to get them here, but she isn't gonna stop importing them (I'm sure she has enough customers who are die-hards). If we all started standing up for our rights as customers she wouldn't be able to get away with taking our money (and time) before she has the product available that we paid for. She'd still get exotics and we'd still buy them; she just would have to wait until she had them before charging for them. From what I understand, you aren't allowed by PayPal to collect money on pre-orders and then use the money to buy products you don't already have. Most businesses buy the product first & hope to make their money back by selling it; not take the money first & HOPE to even get the product in. I mean think about how dumb (I was trying to find a nice way & couldn't) it is to ask money for a product you don't even know for sure you will get? That's not just dumb, it's shady.

My point is if we stopped putting up with it; she'd only be able to sell what she already has in stock and then no one would be left waiting months for their crabs.
I believe like 50% of the this forum cancelled their orders one year and it didn't change anything. We all agree with you that we would like to do something about it, but it's like she doesn't really care. In fact wode has post the same thing as you almost verbatim multiple years in a row and nothing gets done. People want their exotics.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:30 pm

jkd87 wrote:With the exception of Mom23, it seems like no one really hears from her.
This has happened for the last couple of years now. She'll find a customer that she prefers to talk to and will route all information through them. (LHC.com does have an account on here and used to post regularly, by the way.) Two years ago it was parrothead who kept everyone apprised of what was happening with the orders, last year it seemed that Ammolite was able to find out the most about what was happening and pass it along.

When those of us who have been around here for a while say that it's the same thing every year with this company, we do sadly mean exactly that. :( Everyone will eventually get their crabs though it will take months of waiting with no communication during that time. If it's anything like prior years there will be crabs available for purchase once they come in as well.

Personally, I'd love to know how many of the exotics that people have ordered actually make it more than 12 months. Usually by the time our members receive their crabs they've already drifted away from the HCA since it's been a half-year, so long-term results are rare to hear about.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram