Getting Hermies

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
LaceK

Getting Hermies

Post by LaceK » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi, I'm kind of new. I've had hermit crabs before, but I want to do it right this time. I've scoped out the pet stores in my area and I've found that only three of the four sell land hermit crabs. My only problem is I'm not sure which is the better place to get them. There is only one I'm not going to mention because of the deplorable conditions the crabs were kept in.

-The first place I went to had them in a display with wood chips as a substrate, one shallow water dish with what I'm assuming was fresh water, some spare shells, a coco-hut, and a plastic plant. As far as I could tell the crabs were all in natural shells and were teenies and smalls. It probably didn't have the greatest humidity, but it was better than the other pet stores. I'm worried about them using wood chips because I know that there are some woods listed on the unsafe food list and I don't want to get a hermit crab that's going to die because of what it ate at the pet store regardless of the care I give it.

-The second store had them in an aquarium close to the floor with sand as the substrate, one very shallow water dish with fresh water, a hut (not a coco-hut), and some spare shells. As far as I could see the crabs were in natural shells and were also teenies and smalls. It obviously had poor humidity, but it was better than one I'm not mentioning.
Last edited by LaceK on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V=(° °)=V

happycrabbymama

Re: Getting Hermies

Post by happycrabbymama » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

You are really kinda stuck then I think. Personally this is what we look for when we buy crabs. Look for the LIVELIEST crabs they have. How many are you wanting to get? Instead of buying from a pet store, and perpetuating the deplorable conditions that a lot of pet stores have... go on craigslist and look for people willing to adopt out crabs. I have gotten 11 of mine that way. :D Most of the time I have gotten my crabs for no cost only because people don't want them anymore... And I will give them the best life I can whether it be one day or a year or 10. :) I vote for adoption. :D
Mill-Creek Hermit Crab Sanctuary of Northwest Ohio
Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MillCreekHermit ... thwestOhio

hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 am

Both stores don't sound that great. I haven't bought crabs in over a year, but like happycrabbymama I would always look for the livliest. If you don't feel comfrotable buying crabs from a pet store you could always wait untill spring an ordear some online.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:04 am

Adopt! :D You could check the adoption section of this forum for crabs in need of a home in your area. Also Craigslist.

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Thank you all for replying back to me. I've actually looked on craigslist for any thing crab or even aquarium related a few times. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in my area or in the areas I could travel to that have hermit crabs or aquariums up for sale or adoption.

I've also been checking out the adoption form ever since I made an account on here. So far I haven't seen any adoptable hermit crabs near or in Indiana.

I'm wanting to get four or five crabs. I have a 55 gallon tank that I'm going to use, (I actually have two of those and a 40 gallon that are empty) but I'm still missing some things I need for the tank right now. I still have to get play sand, a thermometer/Hydrometer, and I'm going to be ordering some food and salt from the hermit crab garden website.

I will take into advise what you said about getting the liveliest crabs. I'm also going to try to talk to some of the girls who work at the second pet store since I went to school with some of them. I can try to see if they can improve the conditions in the tank. I figure if I can get them to change that it will set an example to people that want to own hermit crabs.

*Edit*

I was miss informed of the gallon of my tanks (I should've known, but I didn't) I have two 29 gallons, a 20 gallon, and a 39, but the 39 has fish currently.
Last edited by LaceK on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V=(° °)=V

happycrabbymama

Post by happycrabbymama » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:03 am

Good idea! Spreading the word about proper crabby care is ALWAYS a good thing. When I decide I want to buy more crabbys... I will buy online. I am doing the adoption thing pretty hard core right now. Just because I think there are a lot of people out there that maybe got crabs around the holidays and then found out how much work and care they require and said the heck with this... And some people who maybe just don't want to deal with them any more. But if you can find adoptions in your area... sometimes you will have people who will not adopt out just their crabs and they will want an UNBELIEVABLY ridiculous amount of money for say 2 crabs and a 10g tank with 2" of play sand and 2 food shells, say $30 or $40. I will always see if they will take less... if they say no... If they change their minds then, they have my info. I also leave them information about this site and offer advice on proper crab care. :D I do believe that adoption is the one of the best options, though. :D

neverland

Post by neverland » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:46 am

You could try running an ad on Craigslist "Hermit Crabs Wanted". A lot of people don't know someone else wants their unloved crabbies.
I believe in Neptune

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you for replying back. I think I will run an ad on Craigslist once I get my crabitat set up. I still have sand to buy and with this winter weather my water pipes have frozen up so I'll have to get more jugs to put dechlorinated and salt water in.
V=(° °)=V

sofiaee

Post by sofiaee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I agree to post an ad! So many people have contacted me through mine. I post one in the pets section and one in the general 'for sale' section.
15 PP's, 7 E's, 3 Viola's : A Happy Colony of 25

Big Pinch | Art | Illustrations

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Okay. Thank you. I will do that. (:
V=(° °)=V

happycrabbymama

Post by happycrabbymama » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

I have an ad on CL... and this is how it reads...

Willing to adopt Hermit Crab or Hermit Crabs (West Unity, Ohio)
I am currently willing and able to adopt land hermit crabs. I am willing to drive within an hour or so of West Unity, Ohio 43570, possibly further if needed. I currently have 11 Purple Pinchers. I can re-home/adopt up to 20 or so crabs of any size and/or species.

If you aren't wanting to get rid of your crabs but, you are having some issues with your set up or just have questions concerning your crabs. Please feel free to contact me and I can direct you to a number of trusted websites where information is provided on proper crab care.

I have obtained 6 hermits and 5 fiddlers this way... :)

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm

I think I'll make an ad something similar to what you have. Thank you for sharing that. (:
V=(° °)=V

sofiaee

Post by sofiaee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:51 pm

happycrabbymama wrote:I have an ad on CL... and this is how it reads...

Willing to adopt Hermit Crab or Hermit Crabs (West Unity, Ohio)
I am currently willing and able to adopt land hermit crabs. I am willing to drive within an hour or so of West Unity, Ohio 43570, possibly further if needed. I currently have 11 Purple Pinchers. I can re-home/adopt up to 20 or so crabs of any size and/or species.

If you aren't wanting to get rid of your crabs but, you are having some issues with your set up or just have questions concerning your crabs. Please feel free to contact me and I can direct you to a number of trusted websites where information is provided on proper crab care.

I have obtained 6 hermits and 5 fiddlers this way... :)

I like this! I think I'll add about asking for advice on mine too :)
15 PP's, 7 E's, 3 Viola's : A Happy Colony of 25

Big Pinch | Art | Illustrations

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:07 pm

It's good to spread the word on proper care for hermit crabs. I hope people contact me for help. I'll send them straight to this site. I'm really happy found it. I actually found it through Wodesorel's site. I was reading about how she got into hermit crabs and it mentioned the HCA. I honestly didn't know that I had done so many things wrong the last time I had hermit crabs. This time though, I know I'll get things right and my hermit crabs will be very happy.
V=(° °)=V

Topic author
LaceK

Post by LaceK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:32 pm

It's almost been a year since I posted this, but I had some financial issues that made me put off getting hermit crabs. I can now get them and intend to do so sometime in the next two to three weeks.

Hopefully I will be soon posting pictures of adorable hermies for you all to see.
V=(° °)=V