Possible Mating/Guarding Behaviour? (Video inside!)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
SuggestedContent

Possible Mating/Guarding Behaviour? (Video inside!)

Post by SuggestedContent » Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 am

Hi everyone! I’ve had these two crabs for about a year now, and this is the first I’m seeing behaviour like this.

We’ve had a few days of rain this week, and I woke up this morning to what seems like Barry chasing around Rambo my other crab, and attempting to mount him. Barry is about half the size of Rambo, so a shell jacking seems out of the question. Other than a couple dominance spats, these two crabs are quite tolerant of each other with Rambo normally being the more dominant due to his(her?) size.

I’ve included a video I downloaded from my Wyze cam for all of you to see, it’s 4.5x and records three separate incidents happening within minutes of each other.

For all the experts here, is this behaviour amorous or aggressive? As well does this mean Rambo is female?

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tesXjcBAJaBVTVuq7

Thanks everyone!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Possible Mating/Guarding Behaviour? (Video inside!)

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am

I think it's just shell envy. They aren't the smartest at figuring out size difference until they can get their claws on something. At least he's too small to be a danger!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
SuggestedContent

Re: Possible Mating/Guarding Behaviour? (Video inside!)

Post by SuggestedContent » Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 pm

I think you may be right! I haven’t seen it repeated since. The persistence of Barry had me a little suspicious, as they usually threaten each other and then run.

Somehow the shell two sizes too large with a crab already in it looks better than the other shells that are exactly the same but better fitting and empty hahaha.