Purple Pincher Eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
rml6f4

Purple Pincher Eggs

Post by rml6f4 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Hello everyone! I’m very excited to say that after a two year gap from trying to raise Strawberry zoea I now have a Purple Pincher with eggs! I thought I would share some pictures because I love looking at the egg pictures on here to compare maturation timeframes. Do these look fertile to you all?

June 7 - Initial discovery

June 12 - Can see little black dots now

June 14
Last edited by rml6f4 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Purple Pincher Eggs

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 pm

To me, they look fertile as they have the lil black dots. A sign that they are forming, pretty sure those are the eyes - unless I'm thinking of fish... but like 95% sure its their eyes. ^_^
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:To me, they look fertile as they have the lil black dots. A sign that they are forming, pretty sure those are the eyes - unless I'm thinking of fish... but like 95% sure its their eyes. ^_^
Does that mean crabs can produce eggs without mating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:32 am

jonathon1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 pm
Does that mean crabs can produce eggs without mating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, similar to a chicken. Won't produce babies. Wod's ruggie produced some eggs a couple months back, and its currently by itself. It probably explains why some crabbers don't have viable eggs, they may be all females/no male mated with her.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:41 am

My ruggie's eggs looked really odd. I honestly don't know what color healthy ruggie eggs should have been (not all species have the same color or color progression so I don't want to assume orange to grey) but they were a kind of rotting maroon darkness with no visible eyespots, and they looked undersized like little period dots. Every time I've had fertilized PP eggs they were plump and glossy and looked like yummy caviar. (Sorry, they do!)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:41 am
My ruggie's eggs looked really odd. I honestly don't know what color healthy ruggie eggs should have been (not all species have the same color or color progression so I don't want to assume orange to grey) but they were a kind of rotting maroon darkness with no visible eyespots, and they looked undersized like little period dots. Every time I've had fertilized PP eggs they were plump and glossy and looked like yummy caviar. (Sorry, they do!)
LOL that makes me think of when I was trying to find someone to take care of my crabs in my absence, I was explaining what they are and how they are related to other more familiar animals to one guy, and he asked, "Can you eat them?" [Um, yeah, pet-sitter interview OVER!]
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Well I think they did end up being fertile judging by the color but unfortunately she ended up dropping them in the sand tonight. I tried hatching them in saltwater but didn’t get so much as a twitch out of the babies.

HermitCrabCHICA

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:39 pm

What happened will they not hatch? I do not know much about breeding.... :o
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:03 pm

No, it is extremely difficult to get them to breed successfully in captivity. A few people have done so, but it is very time-intensive and you need a special saltwater set-up and a LOT of time and devotion to do frequent and extremely careful water changes. I think there may be threads about it here on the forum somewhere. . .
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton