Aussie Zoea 2022

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Renroc

Re: Aussie Zoea 2022

Post by Renroc » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Well one has finally been brave and walked out of the water onto the sand. That’s crushed sesame seeds it’s sitting on in the bowl. I put it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:08 pm

Awwww, Braveheart!

Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:09 pm

If only I could keep track of this one and keep that name

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm

Could call the collective group braveheart. Each group has their own name?!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:56 am

I LOVE baby crabbiesssss :cheer:
Leonardo Dapinci, Clawdia, Coconut. Rest in peace, Samwise!
Aussiedoodle puppy, Watson <3 Super sweet, and super cute!

loveFoof

Post by loveFoof » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:37 am

Soo cute!!
6 Adopted Purple Pinchers:
Mango, Papaya, Pea Pod, Tamatoa, General Grievous, and Yoonghi

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:24 pm

Monster had a female in his grasp for hours on 16th November 2022. I have marked the day in my calendar and am preparing my kriesel for action in about a month. I am not accepting any out of area deployments with work until after January (if I can avoid it) I work with the State Emergency Service and with more than half the state of NSW experiencing ongoing major flooding I've been to Wagga Wagga (down south near the Victorian border) for a week and Bourke (out near the Queensland and South Australian borders) for another week. Hopefully I will be able to get some zoea and get them through to land. It will lighten my heart to have babies again.

This year has not been great for my hermits. I added 5 rescues from a friend who worked at a preschool which got totally demolished by a flood that destroyed a great part of my home town CBD. Fortunately we got the crabs out before this happened. BUT then later in the year my 4ft adult colony flooded and I lost a couple of crabs. I don't know who I have left as I didn't want to stress them too much after digging them up and transfering to a much smaller tank. Anyway they went back into their tank and not a week later the end of the tank cracked (where the heat mat was) It was winter so I moved the heat mat to the front of the tank and taped the crack up with gaffa tape. Then that same heat mat caused another crack on the front of the tank... It has now been chopped up. I guess it went rouge and overheated. Crabs are still in that tank and are doing OK (that's where I saw Monster and his girlfriend) A few weeks later my toddler tank also flooded. I lost a heap of 18mth old babies and the few I rescued are in with this years lot. I think I have about half a dozen left out of last year and early this year's spawnings... I was really sad and have no idea what caused either flood.
I have bought a brand new 4ft tank and stand and that is going in my living room (when I clear away the cupboard that is in the place it will go) I have also found some corner guard lengths so will set this new tank up properly from the start.