Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Woohooo!! Two females with eggs!! Update P.6! BABIES!!

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:28 am

They do look frightening like the mysis shrimp I feed to my bettas. It's been hard to give it to them lately after all your photos. Still, the color and body structures are not the same!

I love that you added a picture of the tank. I kind of forgot about how tiny they really are. :oops:

We're revamping our entire plan for trying to raise them, if we can come up with the funds. (We might be asking family for some help on this.) What size air pump are you using, and do you feel that it's too strong? I want to put a wand at the far end of the tank from the powerhead to keep them from slamming into either side from the current.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 am

My pump is a tetra whisper "up to 40 gallons". It came with a little thing to control the air flow. On the lowest setting, it's perfect. If I had a do-over, I might get something not as strong so I wouldn't have to put it on the min.

Fairbanks has really hard water, and I'm getting mineral build up on the inside of my tank. It's starting to interfere with picture taking! But not sure I can clean it with the babies in there.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:18 am

Thanks! A 20 gallon pump it is. :)

Hrm, not sure about the build-up. That's really odd that it's happening as usually you don't get mineral build-up underwater. Have you ran your hands along it? It might be a bacterial or algae slime instead and that should wipe right off.

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:25 pm

It's definitely mineral build up from the water. I'm guessing it happens when I do water changes because there are two lines that I can see corresponding to the water levels after 5, and 10 gallons have been removed. I scraped it with my fingernail, and it wouldn't even scratch or flake. It's very hard, thin, and white. Probably not harmful, right? Just water minerals?
Crabby since May 2009

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm so glad they're doing well =) They are growing up so fast. Cute little things. Keep up the hard work. Also your dog should be a model. :crabbigsmile:
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Just thought I'd update. Same as usual. More die, still many left, though their lack of numbers is starting to worry me. No less than 100 for sure, but not more than 200.

They seem to be rejecting brine shrimp. They will catch them and then release them. I have two ideas about this. Maybe catching them is a sort of reflex to seeing them, so they catch them, but if they aren't hungry, they release them. My other idea is that maybe they are starting to want other foods. I put in more spirulina about an hour before the water change. Couldn't tell if they ate any or not.

I'll try to get more pics after the water settles a bit. You night owls will see them tonight, but most will have to wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow is day 18. :)
Crabby since May 2009

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

There is probably low numbers in the wild that make it,most larvae ends up food.That is why they lay so many eggs.This is such a great thing you are doing,think about what this could mean for the crab industry.It seems to be going even better than last year. You could be making history,I hope you are documenting everything.Regardless of what happens you should be proud of what you have done.
IBlab crab

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm definitely proud. :) I just don't know how I will take it if none make it. :( They are seriously my babies now. I hatched a chicken once, and it was the best thing ever and then it died a few months later because it had some sort of disease where one of it's legs stuck out sideways. :( It hurt so much to lose my little peeper! And now the crabs are like...100 little peepers. But I know it's normal for a bunch to die.

Just wanted to share another thing...it seems some "dying" babies can come back to life. I have like...double the amount of swimmers that I had all day today because some stopped doing death flops and joined their lively brothers and sisters in the water column. So definitely well over 100 again, now. :)

So note to you, Wodesorel, and to anybody else that has babies in the future- until they are really dead, do NOT give up on them. Like during water changes, I now have a small net that I use to scoop all the live ones back into the tank from the bucket. But I guess if wode builds that fancy tube thingy, she won't need to do that. :) But just for anybody else, it's worth the extra 15 minutes to scoop out babies that seem to be dying.
Crabby since May 2009

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 am

Here are some pics. :)

AND DUDE...SOME OF THEM ARE IN STAGE 5, NO JOKE!! Check it out! It shows the spines under the tail. That's one way to tell between 4 and 5.
Crabby since May 2009

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:14 am

Oh my gosh they are growing so quick!!! :shock:

I had the realization looking at your photos that If I get that far it's going to be
Day1 - Stage: blobs in water
Day 15 - Stage: darker blobs in water.
:hlol:

Your camera seriously rocks! :D

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

THEY LOOK AMAZING! They also look like they are hardening but maybe that is just my eyes. I found out that there is a crustacean that scientists couldn't find the adult versions of. They actually gave the larvae hormones and they went to their adult stage. I don't know the effect that would have on hermit babies, especially in the long term but maybe there is an idea there. I just read it and thought I should mention it just in case. Keep up the fantastic work!
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 am

These are so great! They sure zip through those stages. I love the color they are getting. :)
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

Draven451

Post by Draven451 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 am

This thread is incredible! It's unbelievable to see these babies being born in captivity. WOW! The pictures are fascinating.
Congrats on all of your hard work :)

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:52 am

Happy to report, I again have tons living!! :D Not sure what changed their minds about dying. The ammonia was fine at 0.25-0.50ppm before the water change. Perhaps they are just getting more sensitive, or perhaps the spirulina gave them something they needed. I might have to make that a regular thing before water changes.

I have great pics because I have a semi-pro camera, and a powerful macro lens. It took years to get really good at using the lens (it's EXTREMELY temperamental), so some credit has to go to me, too. It's not easy getting that lens to do what you want, plus I have bad eyes so stuff that looks in focus through the eye hole...isn't. :lol: I take anywhere from 200-400 pics per session, and when I'm done editing, I am usually left with somewhere around 20. So I take many more bad pics, than good pics.

Each crab baby is maybe 1cm? Hard to say since the glass/water can play tricks on your eyes. I'll measure a dead one if I can during a water change.
Crabby since May 2009

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm seriously spamming my own thread. Just wanted to show my shell sorting operation I have going in in the living room.
I have 7 bags where I sort the shells into 7 different sizes. Of course, the sizes are a gradient, but I can usually fit them into one size bag or another without too much trouble. :)

You can see I have many hundreds to go.

It takes about 10 seconds to check one shell. First, I stick a needle inside to see if I accidentally got a live or fresh dead snail at the time of collection. If that is the case, the needle will hit an operculum, and I will toss the shell into the non-use bag. If the needle hits nothing, I check the outside of the shell for holes. Sometimes, the shells are so small, it's hard to tell if there is a hole or just a discoloration. The needle comes in handy there, too. :)

Here is a closer pic of the shells. Most are sitka periwinkles, but they are "turbo-like" so I thought the crabs would like them. I got them in Juneau/Auke Bay Alaska last summer. I once sat for hours at a popular tourist spot getting shells, and tourists kept thinking Tiger (my dog) was a bear! lol! He was sleeping in the beach grass, so you could only see a huge brown furry thing.
Crabby since May 2009