Aussie Zoea - raising attempt 2016

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Renroc

Re: Aussie Zoea - raising attempt 2016

Post by Renroc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

On a far sadder note there was no other movement of shells in the pool so I took them out into transfer spoon rest. It looks like they have tried to morph while still in the water and failed. ImageImage

Still in denial I've managed to pull this off.
Last edited by Renroc on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Even though it's so exciting that some crabs have managed to make it to land, I'm sorry to hear about the ones that didn't.
But not to focus on the negatives, you have 2.5 crabs making it to the land! I'm sure that there's more that will follow.

(Any transition tank pics? Maybe they found it difficult to find the exit?)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Transition tat. Yep need to work in exit. Didn't have time to prepare it properly so tried gutter guard and then a piece of long thin natural sponge. On the weekend silicone with fine fine gravel will be done on the spare and left to air so I am more ready for next time.

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 am

24hrs on and those that made it to the sand have not moved. I suspect they have gone to hermie heaven. BUT I've not totally given up on them yet. So I have probably not been successful in getting any baby crabs BUT I have learnt heaps and made a fine effort. I am happy with myself and proud of what I did achieve and what I've learnt. Ready for the next round (if I get the chance.)

I'd like to make a very very big vote of thanks to Natalie van Amstel who has been my rock through this. Also advice from Culz and some others. Appreciate the shared knowledge base and ideas and hopefully I've added to this in my small way.

Cheers everyone for the encouragement and support. It's been a very rewarding (but tiring and stressful) 12 days. :cheer: :clap: :hlol:

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:20 am

https://vimeo.com/152692321 4 of my 5 crabs were out and about tonight. N order of appearance. Ginger (female) Ziggy (male? and suspect father or possible mother) Mango (unknown but probable mother) and Squirt Moss. Also a bit of a look at my tat. The pool in the front is my salt water and I use ocean water. I measured 2 days ago and it is at 30c temp wise.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 am

You did awesome! You got so much further than most people can even dream of! You should definitely be proud :)
Cheers to you! :cheer:
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:41 am

Still no movement in the transition tat... I really feel that my attempt is over but will keep the heater and airstones running for a while longer just in case. Also had a sad event in my main tat last night. Discovered Ziggy (who I think was the mother) being eaten by Mango... :shock: I don't know what happened but it had not long happened as Ziggy was still soft and movable. I took some photos of parts of crabs that are normally not seen so her death would not have been in vain. She is now fertilising my chives in my herb garden. :|

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:33 am

I am so terribly sorry to hear of Ziggy's demise. I love that your using her for another purpose though [WHITE SMILING FACE].

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:36 am

PS your tat is amazing. Hats off on everything you've accomplished

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

naalide

Post by naalide » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:21 am

Sorry, to hear this. :(
But next time you will make it even better, Renroc!!!
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm

So sorry to hear about Ginger as well as loss of the remaining itsy-bitsy ones but thank you so much for sharing your experience -- this thread has been mesmerizing!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:54 am

Crabinski wrote:So sorry to hear about Ginger as well as loss of the remaining itsy-bitsy ones but thank you so much for sharing your experience -- this thread has been mesmerizing!
Hi there, It was actually Ziggy that died. Ginger has been with me since the beginning and I would be way sadder if it had been her or Mango (my originals) Ziggy I've only had since November so not so attached to her. BUT it is still sad and thanks for the thoughts.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:34 pm

I am so sorry about your losses.

You should feel a lot of pride though, with what you were able to accomplish through this experience. There are so many who appreciate you sharing it very much.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss, what a rollercoaster this journey has been. :( But the highs of this rollercoaster of emotions where fun while it lasted and I sure you be back with your next (successful) breeding attempt.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies