My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
kuza

Re: My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread. -Update: zoea are a go

Post by kuza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks!
I can't find the pictures of the zoea stages, I have to sign up on that site to see them. Does anyone have the link to the compresses guide handy?

And you're English is great, much better than my German.

You should see how bad my german is! Ich speack ein bissen Duetch. Ich vonna (libte?) im Mahlberg! Ich bin 38 jara alt.

lol it's so bad, sorry, I haven't spoken German in like 18 years and all I needed back then was "Ich liebe dich" lol :)

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 am

ok small update from the weekend, i guess these are 2 days old now, funny how 2 days can feel like a week....

Here's almost the latest setup, you can see my daisy chain of airline splitters along the top. First one controls the other 2, the second one is the 4 zoea jars, 3rd is for the brine shrimp hatcheries.

It's hard to keep clean, and a lot of work, but I'm keeping on top of it. I have since removed a bunch since this video, just to get the numbers down to help with how dirty it gets, I haven't lost more than 1 or 2 at a time yet;

Feeding time! First video is with bubbler on, second is with it off.

These guys are actually fine now, not sure why they were bouncing around the bottom;

I have no idea what stage they are in, i assume the first still. I think the algae I was seeing was really old exo but I can't be sure. It would mean I'm at stage 2 but unless I can confirm it I'll wait to see.

fraksocks

Post by fraksocks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 am

Curlz thank you for answering my question about the microworms. Yes many breeders simply swipe them from the side (never the actual culture medium though) of the culture container and swish them in the tank. Some do take the time to rinse them but I've never known any that did lol. Anyways, because of the high risk of contamination from the culture medium you are probably right that they wouldn't make good food for the zoea. Brine shrimp are still the staple for fish breeders and they really use the microworms as a stop gap for when the front are still too small to manage baby brineshrimp, for fish that have trouble catching the free swimming brineshrimp, or as a supplemental food. Was worth a thought anyways.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 am

kuza, have you seen wolf's thread on her babies? :) She has some amazing pictures and diagrams of the various stages. If you can get at them with a magnifying glass, you might be able to figure out where they are
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:57 am

Rotifers would probably be a good food source, but I have not found them easy to breed! Lost the whole thing after a month. Now, the live algae I've been ignoring for almost a year and it's doing fine.

Wolf has photos of all the zoea stages of PPs here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92518
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 am

*hihi* thank you kuza :)
I send you a PN about the documentations.

@fraksocks: of course it was worth a thought.

ah yeah you are right, wolfnipplechips took great pictures. tzzz I have forgotten this great overview! :shock:
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am

:D Wooo! Congrats Kuza! :clap: I haven't checked up on the HCA in a few days and did I miss a lot!! This is exciting, first Straw babies :)
Lovely PPs and Little Es

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I believe I'm at stage 2!!! I've seen lots of exo floating it he water the past 2 days but I haven't seen a molt myself. And it's too hard to see the difference between stage 1 and 2, but if they molted, they are in stage 2 right?

And how are you feeding them fresh brine shrimp every 3 hours? You said you add eggs every 3 hours, so you just use 1 hatchery? How to do separate the egg shells and keep it clean? I get a lot of stuff sitting at the top of the water, I suspect it's the egg shells after they hatch, or are those eggs that haven't not hatched yet?

I'm stuck in a 12 hour cycle right now where I have fresh bring shrimp every 9-12 hours and I redo the whole thing, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:00 am

They are round about 6 days old, am I right?
They should be in stage 2, if their development is like the other species (most of them).

I am using a fish food device called "Rondomatic" (may search in google pictures for more)

It has a lot of little panels (trays) and it has a timer.
in each panel I fill in a pinch of eggs. (really little, because the INVE eggs hatch very good)
I can set every hour I want to, with little pins (red circle). I put in a pin in every 3 hours.

every minute the Rondomatic turns forward. Every 3 hours a panel goes down and the eggs fall into my Kreisel. (Red arrow)

You see the Rondomatic above the Kreisel.

here you see one panel down.

With this option the eggs stay in the kreisel and the artemia nauplii hatch directly in the kreisel.
But I have to clean the water seam every 2 days. Sometimes every day. To minimize bacteria and germs, which can cause a fungal infection (?). This is a potential hazard.
I use my plastic dropper (my primary tool ;) ) to draw the egg shells (and eggs) from the water seam.

it is risky, but it works. But I do not know if the eggs causes a fungal infection the last two times. Could have been an interaction with phytoplankton or simply bad larvae.
So I decided to feed them with the rondomatic after all.

I do not know if you are doing wrong. Nobody really knows how often they are in need of food.
In my opinion the do not eat while motling-time. But I do not know how much they eat in the other time. :?

trial and error
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

fraksocks

Post by fraksocks » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 am

Curlz do you use your your kreisel with a sump type filter system the way that they would in a jellyfish aquarium? Or is this not an option when using a kreisel for the zoea? (I'm sure this info has been posted by you somewhere but for some reason I haven't been able to open up the links to your picture blog and I speak about zero German, I hope that you can be patientwith any repeat questions that I have).

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 am

no problem @ fraksocks

hm maybe the link does not work anymore? picasa is no good since switching to google+ :(

my Kreisel is closed at all sides. Only one opening at the top. Without any filters. (filters are a risk factor)
Filters draw the water into and through the filter, the larvae will be suck into the filter.

I do not see any jellyfish bowls, so I do not know what they use to get a stream and oxygen.
Edit: I have googled "Desktop Jellyfish Tank". they look usable, but the sand at the bottom is not good. And without that sand the larvae will be get though...

There are Kreisel types with a net at one side, and this Kreisel stands in an aquarium with saltwater around the kreisel. The net is too small for larvae, but artemia can move through it. With this option you can do water change outside the kreisel. But the net will get dirty soon, and the artmia swimm outside. So the larvae may not get enough food.
That's why we decide to use a closed kreisel.

to get a stream we are using an airpump (for fishkeeping, for air stone). With a flexible tube on it. At the end there is a plastic tube. Its end points at one wall in the middle of the Kreisel. (In the middle of the wall and in the middle of the diamater of the kreisel)
With a faucet (?) we can adjust the air bubbles. The bubbles soar at the wall to the top and that starts the stream.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 am

What about building a true kreisel (jelly) tank with micron mesh that's small enough to contain the artemia? I haven't been able to get the money together to try building one yet, but it's something on my wish list for next year. The micron mesh has to be special ordered, but it can be bought small enough.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 am

maybe it works.
When there is no suction pressure in the tank.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:53 am

I could see the issue is they get stuck easy even if it's just to the mesh because of the water pressure. If they can't push off hard enough to get back into the stream they will just be stuck. They will even get stuck to the garbage at the bottom of the tank if the flow isn't strong enough.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 am

Curlz wrote:They are round about 6 days old, am I right?
They should be in stage 2, if their development is like the other species (most of them).

I am using a fish food device called "Rondomatic" (may search in google pictures for more)

I do not know if you are doing wrong. Nobody really knows how often they are in need of food.
In my opinion the do not eat while motling-time. But I do not know how much they eat in the other time. :?

trial and error
That thing looks great, I do worry about hatching the eggs in the tank since they do say it can lead to problems, so I have been even washing/rinsing the baby brine shrimp with clean water before feeding them to the crabs.