My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Nat_addicted to HC's

Re: Zoea

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 pm

yes (it is the case with variabilis).
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:05 pm

what did you feed them in that stage?

Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm

A siamese fighter food sinking crumb :)
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

a_little_crabby

Re: My Straw baby attempt thread.

Post by a_little_crabby » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Good luck Kuza! I hope everything works out for you and the wee ones!
PP: Mr. Tea () & Crumpits () - 2/23/13
E: Orange Dreamsicle () - 3/25/13, Sprite () - 5/6/13
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/arthre ... t=3&page=1
I make nets to fit your crabitat. PM if interested.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 pm

I think for all hermits it's between 25 and 35 day carry time. Time in water varies by species though! With straws they might have an abbreviated stage like Es and Aussies, or they could have a "normal" development time like the other species. It would help so much if someone was able to locate any kind of research into their larval stage!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 am

wodesorel wrote:I think for all hermits it's between 25 and 35 day carry time. Time in water varies by species though! With straws they might have an abbreviated stage like Es and Aussies, or they could have a "normal" development time like the other species. It would help so much if someone was able to locate any kind of research into their larval stage!!
Yes that's what he needs! or does anyone have this? The Larval Development of the Tropical Land Hermit Coenobita clypeatus (Herbst) in the Laboratory
Anthony J. Provenzano Jr.
Crustaceana
Vol. 4, No. 3 (Sep., 1962), pp. 207-228
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2 ... 2340630191
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 am

maybe the questions about strawberry eggs should be seperated in an own thread?

@kuza:
1. How long do you think it'll be before she drops the eggs?
Round about 1 month after mating. (This only happend at my side when there was a high pressure area. Sometime noticed by myself, too. In some cases I do not 'feel' a high pressure area)

2. Does anyone know if adding predatory mites (H.Miles) to counter my crabs mites will be bad for my straws eggs? I'm a bit worried they may try to eat the eggs.
Are you sure to have mites? in some cases it weren't mites but springtails (Collembola)

Development:
  • they pass through several larvae stages (5-7 depends on species). Need lots of freshly hatched brine shrimps (not older than few hours)
  • After that they convert to megalopa stage. The can't catch brine shrimps anymore. So they start to look on the floor for food. (I feed defrosted brine shrimp, defrosted krill and defrosted shimp)
  • After some days (weeks) they will search for shells. Unfortunenately there are only some laboratory documents and only a few made it to megalopa stage. So there are no information when the magalopa start to search for shells. The best way is to put some shelss in the kreisel, when the first larvae become a megalopa.

E's do not have abbreviated develop stage. They pass through 5 larvae stages. Like the most species (rugosus, violascens, purpureus)
clypeatus (PPs) pass through 6 stages and scaevola (red sea hermits) pass through 7 stages.
Only variabilis pass through only 2 stages without feeding.

I do have a german spreadsheet. (If have translated it for you) These are all details of larvae development . The details are form the documentations below:

direct link: http://s7.directupload.net/images/130619/bikoejzb.jpg

Edit by Curlz:
I also collect the larvae stage pictures of some documentations (see below) in our german forum: http://www.landeinsiedlerkrebs-forum.de ... php?t=4807
(should be visible without registration)

may you search for the following documentations: (in some of them there are the development times and stages written and shown)
  • Larval stages of Coenobita purpureus Stimpson and C. cavipes Stimpson reared in the laboratory and survival rates and growth factors of three land hermit crab larvae (Crustacea: Anomura).
    Author(s): Nakasone, Y. 1988
  • Larval development of the land hermit crab Coenobita Compressus H. Milne Edwards reared in the laboratory
    Author(s): Renae Brodie and Alan W. Harvey
  • The Larval Development of the Tropical Land Hermit Coenobita clypeatus (Herbst) in the Laboratory
    Author(s): Anthony J. Provenzano Jr.
  • Abbreviated Larval Development in the Australian Terrestrial Hermit Crab Coenobita variabilis McCulloch (Anomura: Coenobitidae)
    Author(s): Alan W. Harvey
  • Larval growth of the coconut crab Birgus Latri with a discussion on the development mode of terrestrial hermit crabs
    Author(s): Fang-Lin Wang, Hwey-Lian Hsieh, and Chang-Po Chen
  • Larval Development of the land hermit crab Coenobita scaevola (Forskål. 1775) (Crustacea: Anomura: Coenobitidae) reared in the Laboratory
    Author(s): Ali Al-Aidaroos † and D.I. Williamson
  • and my documentation.
Last edited by Curlz on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 am

This is great stuff!

And yes, I'm sure they are crab mites, those fast buggers that fly across the water when you do mite baths. They came in on my newest blueberries who I did mite bath but somehow one came up from molt with mites running all over him and then onto other crabs. I watched with a flashlight and could see the mites running off the crab ad back on until another crab got close. I wish I caught him coming up from the molt and I'd be able to isolate the mites but I was too late. I have used predatory mites last year to fight mites and it worked great, however I ordered this round of predatory mites before I noticed the staw eggs. So I might just not use them until after the eggs drop.

And we could move all this straw stuff to my straw baby thread, that might be a good idea.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 am

kuza wrote:And we could move all this straw stuff to my straw baby thread, that might be a good idea.
Done! The forum sorts automatically by date, so there might be a few things out of order. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 am

NP thanks :)

Curlz

Re: Re: Zoea

Post by Curlz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm

The complete document " Larval development of the land hermit crab Coenobita Compressus reared in the laboratory" (Renae Brodie and Alan W. Harvey) can befound online
This document helped me very much checking the larval stages.

All other things (salt, water, cleaning, temperatures, air, airflow, food) are trial and error.

And if they lay their eggs into fresh water bowl, the salt water may be not 'good' enough. Or they did not reach the saltwater bowl early enough.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

sophie anne

Post by sophie anne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 pm

I can download and email any papers behind a paywall that you might want to read (I have access through my college). Just PM me what you want and I'll get it. This is allowed as long as you don't pass it on to more people after that.

I'm cheering you and your crab-babies on Kuza!!! :cheer:
~Crabbing since May 2012~

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 pm

PMed :)

Also, curls and nat, did you both have a day/night cycle on your zoea tanks all the way through development? And you just use a flashlight at night to do water changes?

You also mention you used your second jar to move the zoea instead of doing water changes, so that's where you sucked them up in your eye droppers and just put them i the new jar, every day?

Thanks again

Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm

kuza wrote:PMed :)

Also, curls and nat, did you both have a day/night cycle on your zoea tanks all the way through development? I had 14 day and 10 night. And you just use a flashlight at night to do water changes? yes when needed

You also mention you used your second jar to move the zoea instead of doing water changes, so that's where you sucked them up in your eye droppers and just put them i the new jar, every day? Yes, or as needed.

Thanks again
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 pm

I love the internet, getting help from the other side of the world! Although we're both part of the commonwealth :)