Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Happyhermiehome

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

WOW! This is so amazing! I hope they all make it but even if only a few do that's still a super amazing feat!
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you! I keep telling myself that their odds here are probably better than in the wild, and that's something, at least.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Here's a link to a Day Twelve video. There's a great close-up at about 25 seconds.

https://youtu.be/1ab3t7Zr9As

Visual

Post by Visual » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 am

mlakers wrote:Image

And this is my attempt to make it easy and inviting to drop your eggs in the saltwater pool. Long, narrow pool, rocks to create a shallow entry, light bubbles, shells leading up to the pool, and after this picture I put some additional greenery around it so it feels sheltered. For my personal benefit, I moved it right up against the glass so I have a clear visual of the water. We should be at ~ Day 19 or 20.
I love this tank set up! Can I ask... what are you using for your pool?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 am

mlakers wrote:Image

Got a cool macro shot. You can see their eyes! <3
ImageImage Image

www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:57 am

mlakers wrote:
Giner13 wrote:This is so neat to follow!! Keep coming with the updates.
Go little guys go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Giner13! It's nice to get a little feedback. I was starting to think I was shouting into the wilderness. I'm definitely more inspired to share updates when I know someone cares. :)
Alright, I'm here on my couch crying. I've been behind in all of this because I've been away from the site for awhile but thank you. Thank you for caring about the little ones and thank you for caring to shout out into the wilderness. I for one am here to listen and I'm loving to watch this story unfold, even if it's late.

www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 am

mlakers wrote:Thank you, Giner! I'm a super attentive caregiver...forrrr about a week. Then some switch flips and I get itchy and cranky and distracted and go a little bonkers if I don't get out and see the world. I have no idea how full-time caregivers do it. They get massive props from me. I remember when my kids got chicken pox in succession for a total of four weeks of isolation, unhappy kids and cabin fever. I nearly lost it.

This experience feels a lot like having a short term newborn. Are they eating? Are they pooping? What do they need? What do they want? And of course the baby (babies) can't tell you what it (they) needs. It's a lot of semi-helpless guesswork.

Oh, and we have plans to go out to dinner tonight with friends, and all I can think of is when to feed the zoea and how I can ever leave them alone for four (whole) hours. :hlol:
The stresses of motherhood!

www.loverochambeau.com

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 am

You are doing an amazing job mlakers!! It's such a feat to do so much for so many tiny ones. Like some of the others have said, 500 is quite a number.
Wish I could give you a personal hug but a virtual one will have to do for now!!

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 pm

[quote="Visual"][quote="mlakers"]Image

Got a cool macro shot. You can see their eyes! <3

OMG! Look at all those adorable little eyes!!! :love:: :love::
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

I love this tank set up! Can I ask... what are you using for your pool?

It's a space-saver bin for the pantry that I found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It has handle holes at each short end, but I cut off the top part with a hacksaw so they wouldn't have to climb over it. :)

I like it because it's really sturdy and has a long, narrow profile. I have one for freshwater in the back going along the other wall.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Alright, I'm here on my couch crying. I've been behind in all of this because I've been away from the site for awhile but thank you. Thank you for caring about the little ones and thank you for caring to shout out into the wilderness. I for one am here to listen and I'm loving to watch this story unfold, even if it's late.

Aww, thank YOU visual for reading and caring with me. :)

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Giner13 wrote:You are doing an amazing job mlakers!! It's such a feat to do so much for so many tiny ones. Like some of the others have said, 500 is quite a number.
Wish I could give you a personal hug but a virtual one will have to do for now!!ImageImageImage

I'll TAKE it!! :D

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 pm

DAY (lucky) THIRTEEN.

No appreciable losses today, just a few floating carcasses here and there. I didn't do a 100% water change last night and I'm not doing one tonight, but I did make small 30% - 50% changes a bunch of times because I'm trying to feed them enough but keep the water clean. It's a tricky balance. I'm going through about a gallon and a half of saltwater each day. Tonight I siphoned up the bottom thoroughly and in the process picked up a lot of babies. I had to put back over a hundred in each of the most "productive" jars, so there are probably more than 300 total still going strong.

The jar that I "retired" for zoea I'm now using to hatch brine shrimp which helps a lot in terms of keeping the water in the baby jars clear. I also placed another jar in the aquarium for warming plain saltwater. That's been a great thing--means I have two quarts at temperature at a time, so if I'm doing a 50% change in four jars, I have just enough at the perfect temperature. I just have to remember to keep them filled. :?

I alternate between feeling like I've got this and having major panic episodes. Like tonight, after the water change, I shined the light in and just saw a lot of flopping around and thought, "Dear God, I've killed them all." I had to step away, make myself a tall gin and tonic, and when I came back just to double check that every jar was bubbling the appropriate amount, I shined the light in and there were swimmers everywhere. I am clearly just getting the jitters because we are so close to stage six and losing them all now would feel just awful. (pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease let some live!)

Sorry I don't have a picture or video today. It was all I could do to get the changes and feedings done alongside my client work (I'm a writer and freelance editor, so I work from home which is good, but I do still have deadlines I have to meet). I got a package of tiny shells today from a virtual friend with a "Welcome Baby" card inside. So funny. And of course, only about 30 of them are even close to small enough. However small you think they have to be? Imagine them half-again as small and you're getting close to small enough. I thought I knew what a tiny shell was until I looked at their adorable skinny little nothing bodies that have to carry it around. :cloud9:

Last edited by mlakers on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Awwwww little beady eyes!!!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 pm

I think you have to look for shells thats around 1-4mm opening for the 'first time homes'... Either curlz or Nat mentioned that, I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies