Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

wolfnipplechips

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 am

bbbaaaaahhhhhh! I'm so excited! Rooting for you and the behbehs!!! :crabbigsmile: :crabbigsmile:

Wish I could be more help with advice, but honestly, my babies were so long ago, I don't even remember much. :oops: Hoping to actually try again next year, hopefully with advice from you!! :D
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm

wolfnipplechips wrote: Wish I could be more help with advice, but honestly, my babies were so long ago, I don't even remember much. :oops: Hoping to actually try again next year, hopefully with advice from you!! :D
Oh, hey, I believe you!! Gotbutterflies was asking me about something I did sixteen days ago and I swear, I was like, "Whaaaaat?" It's all one big blur. Baby brain. :)

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Day Eighteen.

Started the day optimistic, eagerly awaiting a marine substrate delivery, but also had to work away from home for four hours, so did my water change, 30%, fed them, observed a bunch of sheds in the water which always means lots of water changes needed, but I was already late, so I left.

Stopped on the way home for more Instant Ocean (have gone through about 28 gallons since the start of this) and bought a few more food options to try. Something for fish fry called (i think) First Hatch, and two types of beta grains. Everything has something bad for them (copper, ethoxyquin, garlic, etc), but I'm trying to give them options and vary their diet / vary the bad things they are exposed to. The First Hatch looked promising, but I don't think they ate it and it made a mess of the water. I only tried one of the beta grains (with garlic in the ingredients) and dropped it right into a group of zoeae...the water promptly cleared around it within a half-inch radius that kept expanding, so I removed it and that one's a no-go. Ugh. So hard to feed them!

The water was pretty cloudy when I got home, so I did a quick 30% change, and tried the various foods. Very cloudy again quickly so I did another change. And now I've walked away to stream some mindless TV (I'm binging old episodes of LOST for my sanity breaks). I have to do this occasionally or I will absolutely lose my mind. I'm having a very hard time keeping on an even emotional keel while doing this. With no "chart" to follow, everything is a guess, and every guess is generally followed by me second-guessing my first guess and agonizing over that. It's really so much more emotionally taxing than I ever imagined. Huge props to all the trail blazers who have attempted this before. You have my utmost admiration and respect.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm

You are doing such an amazing job!! I don't think my brain could handle it all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm

mlakers wrote:
wolfnipplechips wrote: Wish I could be more help with advice, but honestly, my babies were so long ago, I don't even remember much. :oops: Hoping to actually try again next year, hopefully with advice from you!! :D
Oh, hey, I believe you!! Gotbutterflies was asking me about something I did sixteen days ago and I swear, I was like, "Whaaaaat?" It's all one big blur. Baby brain. :)
LOL!!! :hlol: You have been a tremendous help to me!! Thank you!!!!! :cloud9:

Edit: You have got this!! What about the natural options like krill, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp. The stuff that is frozen that you thaw. Yes, messy but is it more natural? What did @Renroc use? Help @Renroc!!! :) Please!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 pm

That frozen brine shrimp has proved to be a favorite, but yes, SO messy. I guess I just need resign myself to being a janitor for a little longer. :P

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 pm

This is super cool. Best of luck!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 pm

soilentgringa wrote:This is super cool. Best of luck!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Thank you!! Day Eighteen is something, at least. :wink:

GabyRaven

Post by GabyRaven » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Yknow I just realized that I've always heard that hermits are super duper hard to get to breed in captivity, especially PPs, yet it seems a bunch of y'all are setting the mood just right lmao, this is so cool, hopefully with the success and research that comes out of this we can eventually phase out wild-catching altogether

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am

Hi there,
Firstly congratulations. I've been in the middle of the pacific ocean with no internet for the last 2 weeks. If there is anything I can help with advice wise I'm happy to comment. BUT Aussies have such a shortened cycle in water that I may not be of much use.

Good luck.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:55 am

@Renroc- Were you on off the one stuck on the cruise ship?! Over the hurricane?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 am

Totally awesome!! Keep up the great work! And thanks so much for keeping us posted:) Love the pics!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 am

Not the greatest video, but the best documentation of Day Eighteen that I was able to get. Still none at stage six.

https://youtu.be/1NkE9SIpicA

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am

Renroc wrote:Hi there,
Firstly congratulations. I've been in the middle of the pacific ocean with no internet for the last 2 weeks. If there is anything I can help with advice wise I'm happy to comment. BUT Aussies have such a shortened cycle in water that I may not be of much use.

Good luck.
Hey, renroc. Welcome back! I actually do have a question. Can you check your betta pellets and see if your brand has either ethoxyquin or garlic in the ingredients? I can't find any "pure"pellets, and I'm in a quandary as to which of those ingredients is the least likely to cause them to reject the food and/or cause issues with the zoeae. Thank you!

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:17 am

[/quote]

Hey, renroc. Welcome back! I actually do have a question. Can you check your betta pellets and see if your brand has either ethoxyquin or garlic in the ingredients? I can't find any "pure"pellets, and I'm in a quandary as to which of those ingredients is the least likely to cause them to reject the food and/or cause issues with the zoeae. Thank you![/quote]

I used Hikari Tropical Fancy Guppy food. no ethoxyquin but it does have garlic. Aussie mega seemed to like it though.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.