My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
kuza

Re: My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread. Update: Megalopa stage

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:18 am

I'm sorry to hear that about your latest ones. I now know how hard it is to lose them.

I think some of the ones I have left have bacteria on them that I can sometimes get off buy "hosing" them with the dropper in the jar. But for sure I see white dots on them that I can remove sometimes.

And when you say change the food, how long do you leave the frozen mysis/kirll in the tank for them to eat? I would leave it for at least half a day. maybe that was too long?

And I'm down to 8 megalopa today, 2 per jar. The ones that haven't eaten each other I think died from bacteria. :(

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 pm

So kuza, any showing interest in the shells recently? I hope that they all make it to land! I WANT A CAPTIVE BRED STRAW!!!!!
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:28 pm

no shell action yet :(

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:47 pm

I'd remove uneaten food after an hour or so, just to cut down on the nasties (it's what I do with my aquatic frog)
Just an idea? :smt102
I hope they start taking shells soon :(
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:12 pm

OMG one of them is in a shell, he doesn't stay in it's but he's in and out of it!!! i'm almost done the transition tank but it's not ready yet, omg I need to hurry now.

Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:15 pm

You little ripper!
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au

Eugooglizer

Post by Eugooglizer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm very sorry for your recent losses. Sounds like the best option is to jar each megalopa individually in order to ensure any kind of survival rate. I know it's not a very appealing choice, and I can genuinely relate to the difficulties entailed as for a couple of years I raised bettas and all males (and even some females) have to be individually jarred once they reach the age/size where they start showing aggression. Many betta breeders regularly have 200+ individually jarred bettas to take care of. Since water quality is so absolutely crucial during this stage (as you know), that means daily full water changes of each jar (or similar container). This process can be made much more simple by having a large bucket of already prepared clean water ready and extra jars. This way the clean empty jars can be quickly filled with the new water and the megalopa simply being switched over into it (depending on their size, a turkey baster could work to easily suck them up out of the old jar and into the new one). Wode's suggestion of using a plastic storage bin filled with a sufficient depth of water and placing heater in that along with the individual jars in order to heat them is the method I would recommend as well regarding temperature control.

If you're absolutely averse to manual daily water changes there is another method that could be used that would filter the water in all the containers in the tub (but not pose any escape risk) but would require jarring them in plastic or acrylic containers as well as having a fairly powerful filter. Probably not worth it unless you're dealing with a pretty large amount of megalopa at one time (imo), but if you'd be interested in detailed directions on that method just let me know.
How's this for muchness?

PPs, Es, Indos, Straws in a 220g habitat

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:41 pm

right now I'm using multiple jars, there's 2 left in each jar for a total of 8 megalopa left. And I do full water changes every day using my second set of jars and the turkey baster.

I would be very interested in the filter method though, anything to make things easier would be good since my time if very limited. Thanks!!

Eugooglizer

Post by Eugooglizer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:48 pm

kuza wrote:right now I'm using multiple jars, there's 2 left in each jar for a total of 8 megalopa left. And I do full water changes every day using my second set of jars and the turkey baster.

I would be very interested in the filter method though, anything to make things easier would be good since my time if very limited. Thanks!!
Haha, well you're already one step ahead of me since you're already doing the daily changes and even with the turkey baster lol. Would you rather me PM you the details of the filter method or go ahead and post it here?
How's this for muchness?

PPs, Es, Indos, Straws in a 220g habitat

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Might as well post here so other people can also have the chance to learn about it. Even if I don't manage to do it someone else might.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm

So exciting!! I was away at work all last week, but I couldn't help but log on every night just to read your updates! Kuza, that's fabulous news!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Down to 5 megalopa, they just can't help killing each other but I have 5 jars going with 1 megalopa and 3-4 shells in each. I think a second one is now grabbing onto the shells and starting to feel them out. They do this for a couple hours before they realize "OMG I can fit into this thing!" and starting putting their tail in. I have a picture I'm going to post soon that shows the shell with the little crab legs sticking straight up into the air out of the hole.

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 am

I didn't have time to upload any video's yet but here's the first megalopa in shell. Check those tiny legs sticking up into the air. He hasnt' turned it over yet, her just sits here like this for a while, then get sout, check the shell again, sometimes goes into another shell for a bit.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:21 am

OMG, so happy for you kuza! :D :D :D
CONGRATS!
:cheer: :banana: :cake: :banana: :cheer:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 am

The need some days to 'lean' that they need shells and how to get into it. And how to stay in it ;)

I put them into transition pool when they stay in the shells for several hours.
But even they stayed some hours, they went out and act like megalopa with shells ;)

In my successfull experiment we changed the frozen food 2-3 times a day (24h). Up to 8 h.

When they are about to stay in shells, I think they had the hardest part done.
The next hardest part is to transmorph into land hermit crabs. Their first and important molt.

About the loss: you should not forget that even in nature only 1-5% will make it onto land and get a land hermit crab.

I think to have one megalopa in one jar is a good way. One piece of food in each. Plus a piece of algae-pellets (food pellets for crabs and shrimps). Daily cleaning and water changing as you already did.... it MUST work, darn! *fingers crossed extremely*
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/