My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Curlz

Re: My Straw (Perlatus) baby thread. Update: Megalopa stage

Post by Curlz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:46 am

CrustaGran Marinus (Dennerle): seafood plus marine algae (over 20%).
Vitamins: A, D 3, E, C and Astaxanthin (Sorry I do not know if the vitamin label are the same as here in Germany.

I use this food since 3 years. For my land hermit (once in a month), for my marine hermits (every second day), the breedings (once in a month) and larvae (Megalopa stage daily)
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:42 am

Did you get to move the guy testing shells into a transition pool? I know you lost a few of the megalopa, but did he make it?
Lovely PPs and Little Es

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 am

perfect thanks curlz!

Hermilover, that guy passed, sadly. But I have 3 megalopa left and all 3 attacked the fresh frozen krill I added this morning and they are playing with shells, so I'm still hopeful.

And an update on the new babies, I guess the ones she dropped yesterday were by mistake because I woke up today and there was a BOATLOAD of new zoea in the water dish. I thought there wasn't very many yesterday and I guess that's why.

So she either dropped eggs twice in 2 days, or these are blue babies. But I didn't think I had any female blues unless my big blue is a girl and I didn't even notice. They are probably just more straws from the Scarlett. We'll see if I start noticing 2 different types of zoea.

hermilove

Post by hermilove » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:16 am

I'm sorry to hear about that little guy, but it sounds like the other 3 are doing great! :D I hope they make it!! Also good luck with the new zoea, you are dedicated so she's lucky to have her babies in your tank! :luck::
Lovely PPs and Little Es

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am

Wow, your crabs are turning into factories! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Omg, blue babies...if that's the case, you might end up seeing me on your doorstep in a few months! I'm rooting for your three big kids!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Careyenz wrote:Omg, blue babies...if that's the case, you might end up seeing me on your doorstep in a few months! I'm rooting for your three big kids!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed! We can meet and drive to Canada together!
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm

That would be crazy if I had blues and straws going at the same time. However I just found out today that one of my other straws is really a female who I thought was a male all along. So it's possible I had 2 straws drop babies within a day of each other. Which would mean papa gets around!

I have 4 jars full of babies, and I believe they don't eat in the first few days but I'm feeding them anyway :/

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:01 am

How are the babies doing? :o
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 am

only 2 left and they seem to have trouble with the shells. It's really too bad all the strong early megalopa died. The new zoea are looking good though,s tarting to get that nice orange color already.

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 am

Maybe they just need some time to figure out the shells? How long was the "shell goes on butt" learning curve for other people?

Glad to hear the zoea are looking good. I take it they're eating now? :D
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm

other stronger ones took shells pretty quickly so these guys are taking way to long. And they weren't as healthy looking as the first few batches to switch to megalopa, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much. :(

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Well it's official, after tonight there are no megalopa left. I'm giving it one more shot since it's really taking up a lot of my family and sleep time. Hopefully I can pull if off this time.

All the new zoea are molting now, right on queue. 4 jars of them, so I will hopefully have the same success getting back to the megalopa stage this time, and hopefully I dont' screw up this time around. Now I know it's the hardest stage.

kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Awe.. thats so sad I am sorry to hear that :( , but knowledge is power and you deftly have the knowledge to do it again. Do you know why they didn't make it?
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

Topic author
kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 pm

The first strongest batch that turned megalopa at 16 days in died because of some food I used that had garlic and I guess it was too much for them. Then the next batch died I assume because of bad flow or the sand in a 2 gallon betta tank I moved them too. The last ones all ate each other until just a few were left and none of them were very big or strong like the earlier ones to switch. So this time I have 2 tanks setup to hold twice as many jars so I can split them up twice as many times. I can have at least 12 megalopa jars going if I want, and I might do.