Zoea *successful captive breeding & rearing of C. variabilis

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Zoea

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:13 pm

I so happy for you! :D
I can barely stay still about aussies breeding in captivity! It is so awesome :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Maybe try fishing out any dead ones and placing them on black construction paper for photos? My camera would never pick up something so tiny.. let alone something tiny AND moving.
This is seriously awesome :D I'll be rooting for you and your babies :) And I'll be jealous when all the Aussies get them since you can't export them :P
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm

LOL, I am jealous that you guys can get PP's, E's and Straws I we aussies can :(
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 pm

RockyGurly wrote:Maybe try fishing out any dead ones and placing them on black construction paper for photos? My camera would never pick up something so tiny.. let alone something tiny AND moving.
This is seriously awesome :D I'll be rooting for you and your babies :) And I'll be jealous when all the Aussies get them since you can't export them :P
Great Idea! & Thank you!
Hopefully if this turns out successful then exporting shouldn't be too hard since we wouldn't be harming the wild population, certainly something to work towards of the next 5 years :D
AussieJJDude - we can get straws, Seen them in Queensland at a pet store online a few years back.
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

I heard Wai (from HCP) seeing some at the pet stores, but they are so rare here!
If I see straws I would give them to you, you would have a whole batch of eggs! :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

The time frame might be quicker than 25 days. Wolf's developed faster than what the papers stated. :)

So exciting!!! :D
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 pm

We have megalopa! wow wow wow :banana:
I have tried so hard to get a decent shot of them for you all
& closer
Unfortunately yes they do eat each other, well they eat the undeveloped zoea, I have moved some of them to the other jar with brine shrimp eggs and tropical fish flakes and Im about to put some mixed sea vegie flakes in to see if they are happy to eat these instead of each other.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Holy crapola that was fast!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:cheer: :cheer: Good luck!!
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Wooo hooooo! So excited for you!!!!!
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 am

Thank you! :crabbigsmile:

Eeeeeek it is all happening so fast! who would of guessed Id be this close now....... not me. :shock:
Loving every second of it, that's for sure!
Ok so my plan is to get the transition tank ready today, that way I can make sure I've got it set up right in advance ie Temp & humidity, like I said I have to do it with what I already have, no more purchases unless Its something very important. I do need to get another light though. I'm trying to work out where in our home I can put it (I'm thinking in our bedroom next to my bedside table so I can watch and sleep lol).
The other really important thing I need to do (with your help) is a work out what things I need to record regarding their transition, molts etc. Can everyone please brainstorm on this as I don't want to miss something really important, this is important for the whole crabbing community to have this as a freely available reference sheet for the future.
Also I just want to add... It feels like Im cheating somehow with our variabilis having such an abbreviated aquatic stage.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 am

note to self - keep all dead zoea to feed megalopa. They are eating the flakes but prefer their own.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 am

Nat_addicted to HC's wrote:note to self - keep all dead zoea to feed megalopa. They are eating the flakes but prefer their own.
>< Yikes. Good to know, but.. yikes. :shock:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:07 am

I think separating them will really increase your chances-wolf's problem was that they all ate eachother, and for some reason the 6th stage babies only lasted a day or two :( (good idea about the dead ones, maybe try tweezers to make them wiggle around in the water and seem more appealing to the big guys?)
Wow! This is happening so fast! I've got my hopes up seriously high for you! If you want to record things, maybe a diary would be a good idea, like what curlz did? :) Did you ever get to see hers? It would just document what happened on a day to day basis, what she did differently and how they were behaving. I think that would help future breeders alot, because they would know what to expect during certain stages :) Also keep a record of how many you had at certain times.
Speaking of which (and forgive me if it's somewhere and I just haven't noticed it) how many do you have left? How many days has it been?
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 am

RockyGurly wrote:I think separating them will really increase your chances-wolf's problem was that they all ate eachother, and for some reason the 6th stage babies only lasted a day or two :( (good idea about the dead ones, maybe try tweezers to make them wiggle around in the water and seem more appealing to the big guys?)
Wow! This is happening so fast! I've got my hopes up seriously high for you! If you want to record things, maybe a diary would be a good idea, like what curlz did? :) Did you ever get to see hers? It would just document what happened on a day to day basis, what she did differently and how they were behaving. I think that would help future breeders alot, because they would know what to expect during certain stages :) Also keep a record of how many you had at certain times.
Speaking of which (and forgive me if it's somewhere and I just haven't noticed it) how many do you have left? How many days has it been?
Alive - over a hundred stage 2 zoea and 9 megalopa at this stage, I have separated the megalopa, day 11
where do I find curlz diary? Now my records aren't exactly a work of brilliance as I seriously didn't expect to get this far :oops: This thread really is my record I guess. I will start a diary now :wink:
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 am

aha I have curlz diary saved in my google account! thought Id seen it but just wasn't sure, I've read so many papers and threads in the last 8 days
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY