Please fill out MITE template!!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:01 pm

Thanks to OIF_VET who pointed me here. :-)

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs

Fairly new crabs

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them

Play box Sand that had been baked in the oven.

**what kind of top do you have on your tank

A regular fish tank lid with light and a wooden lid on top of that

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)

Mainly commercial - various fresh foods as a small treat once a day usually removed from the tank within a few hours

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and describe if u can

White

**What time of year did you get the infestation

November

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc)

Dining Room

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)

My home is usually kept between 72 - 78 degrees year round. (This is coming from a person who sometimes wears sweaters during the summer.)

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)

We have spiders that come in every year when winter is starting to hit. In the summer the flies have been horrible in our city the last few years but nothing a few strategically placed fly strips couldn't handle. :wink:

**do you own other pets, if so what kind

We have a Miniature Pincher named Goku. We breed 3/4 black Guppies for a local pet store so we have hundreds of fish and that's about it right now anyway.

In addition I'm adding this quote from my post from Emergency:
Also I think the source of the mites came from 2 birds I was babysitting for my sister. Her daughter's birthday was on this Saturday and they were presents for her. I kept the birds from last Sunday evening until this Friday and had the birds setting on top of my crab tank for about 2 of the days they were here. I had given our crabs a bath last Sunday shortly before the birds came and they didn't have mites then. After the birds sat on top of their tank during the week they had mites this Sunday. In retrospect that was a pretty stupid thing for me to do. I really didn't know much about birds but I've done a little research now and it appears birds can have all kinds of different mites on them at any given time.

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 am

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs:
Had them about 3 months when I noticed the mites

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them:
sand

**What kind of top do you have on your tank:
Screen wrapped in saran wrap, but the edges can breathe (29 gallon)

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc):
FMR, commercial based, sometimes brown oak leaves. I feed them outside the tank.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can:
white

**What time of year did you get the infestation:
Summer

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc):
living room

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing):
Normal, about 75-80 in summer, and about the same in the winter, they have heaters under their tank for winter

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs):
I have tarantulas as well :) But no, not buggy in your meaning!

**do you own other pets, if so what kind:
Hyland Lynx cat, fish, tarantulas

Hope this helps a little for your study! I have found that feeding them fresh food outside of the tank, helps from getting food all over the sand, and buried.
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:57 pm

long term
1/2 play sand and 1/2 Eco earth
plexi glass
**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)
both, commercial- HBH hermit crab variety bites, dried shrimp, freeze dried sea weed and krill, dried bananas and coconut slivers Fresh- apples, bananas, star fruit, kiwi, spinach, mixed greens (no iceberg), carrots, broccoli, eggs, tuna, occasional chicken, beef and organic peanut butter or honey.
**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can
tan it looks like a grain of sand very hard to see, I only noticed because of movement.
November (winter in PA)
between kitchen and dining room
**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)
usually about the same all year we don't use central air in the summer
**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)
Not in the winter time we get occasional spiders and bugs in the spring
dog (boxer)

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:09 am

Posted on behave of Lorilyn
Lorilyn wrote: Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs
long term, 1 1/2 years
reptile sand, polished river rocks for fish tanks, crushed coral

screen

commercial Zoo Med hermie food, Zoo Med hermie crab cakes, dried shrimp, dried tubifex worms, Zoo Med fruit salad. Supplemented daily with lettuce, sweet apples (their favorite) apricots, melons.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and describe if u can. Very, very small solid red mites.

November is when I noticed, could have been going on for a while.

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc). Living room

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing). Opposite.

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs) No, I live at 6500ft elevation

**do you own other pets, if so what kind. 1 dog, 3 cats.

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone :)

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:18 am

Only had Crabs Since August 05

Play Sand...Just Recently Changed to EE in Half the tank

Screen with Saran Wrap

Fresh...Fruits and Veggies..Occasionally Proteins.

White and Smaller than this Dott====> .

Winter is when I noticed a Something on 1 Crab

Living Room

Hot in Summer...AC in the Wall. Cool in winter..around 70

Yeah...spiders..and Some Sort of Beetle. Also some Daddy Long Legs

Yes! 1 Cat (Unknown Breed, Barn Kitten 4 or 5 years ago)
1 Dog...Cockapoo.
3 Marine Fish and 1 Marine Wild Crab.
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm

oh no OIF you got them :shock: :(
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Mites

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:35 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I already took action before I received them though. I decided to go with my gut instinct. I gave the crabs four baths per something I had read. I decided to also bathe the molting crabbie. I decided he may die either way, however he might have a better chance of survival if there weren't any mites on him. We've had mites before and lost crabs because of the them, in my opinion. I only gave the molting crab one quick dunking in distilled water. I threw out all the substrate, the sponge and a piece of wood they had to climb on. I washed out the tank with regular water and dried it out. I replaced the substrate, calcium sand. I bought a hut and a Climbing Background. Had never seen the Climbing Background before but the crabs seem to love it! They were never much interested in climbing on the wood. This stuff you cut to fit the back or side of your tank, adhere to the glass and spray with water. I've had a problem keeping the humidity at the right level, but not anymore. Everyone seems to be fine at the moment. I have never seen them so active. I've been feeding them raisins, a new treat for them. Removing the food in the morning, and keeping a towel over the top of the tank. Now, not only is the moisture level better but so is the temperature! The molting crab seems to be doing fine so far. He ate one time and then slept for a little more than 24hrs. He's still moving around and then resting. Well see how this goes. This is the third time that we have had mites ( I didn't know what they were before.). I am now concerned after reading your replies, that washing with regular water isn't enough? I hope this isn't why they keep coming back? I've noticed that if water spills out of their bowl and onto the sand that with in a day or two they are in the cage. What could be the difference between water being in the bowl and water in the sand? The water is the cage either way. I'm not sure how to do the report, so I am adding to this email. Thank you again to everyone for you help!

Long term

Calcium sand

Aquarium hood with holes. Now covered with a towel

Commercial food

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and describe if u can

White, microscopic. Thought they were sand, until I saw them move

February 9, 2006

Bedroom

normally cool in summer/warm in winter

No

2 Golden Retrievers

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:37 pm

I had mites about a year ago, when I was not the best crab mom.

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs- A mix of old and new

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them- Fine grained gravel

**what kind of top do you have on your tank- None

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)- Commercial food and treat every day plus fresh fruit that was removed daily.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can- Very small and light tan

**What time of year did you get the infestation- Winter

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc)- Kitchen

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)- Pretty much a constant temp year round

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)- Usually only in the basement

**do you own other pets, if so what kind- Dogs, frogs, and fish[/b]

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Long Term

Sand and small pebbles

Glass cover weith an incandescent light from small fish tank

Commercial, but try to have a grape or piece of apple in there

White/Tan....very tiny, smaller than a grain of sand

late winter (March)

Livingroom

cool in summer/warm in winter

not really

1 cat, 2 kids and a husband *snicker*

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:27 am

Ugh, we found mites today. The only thing I can think is that we didn't notice them ride in on the petsmart crabs. :(

**Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs : Probably new.

**What kind of substrate were you using when you got them: We use 3/4 playsand and aragonite mix, and 1/4 forest bedding.

**what kind of top do you have on your tank: Standard glass fish tank top.

**What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc): Lately it has been a lot of commercial/dried fruits and things.

**What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can: White, too small to describe much more.

**What time of year did you get the infestation: Spring (we are pretty far north so it's still relatively chilly outdoors).

**what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc): Living Room

**is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing) : It's usually pretty warm year round.

**is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs) No

**do you own other pets, if so what kind : We have some red claw crabs and fiddler crabs, but in a separate tank.

Post by Guest » Sat May 06, 2006 5:14 pm

New crabs

EE/sand mix....when I bought them they were in EE

glass lid

commercial & fruit

white, the size of a grain of sand

spring

living room

68-70 degrees all year

not really

cat

Topic author
HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Sat May 06, 2006 8:48 pm

I appreciate you all doing the template

THANK YOU :D
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:45 am

New

Playsand

Wire

Dried fruit (Trail mix)

White

Spring

Storage/Crafts/Sewing room

Cool all year. ( I Have a heat lamp)

A silver fish occasionally, but the cats take care of most things.

1 16 year old dog that hasn't been in the hermie room for the past 3 years, 1 cat the sits on the cage lid (our hermie mister now has 2 purposes) and another cat the could care less about the hermies.[/b]

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Were your mites from long term owned crabs or new crabs
long term owned

What kind of substrate were you using when you got them
eco earth fiber & crab sand

what kind of top do you have on your tank
fully covered glass aquarium hood

What is the main type of food you feed - fresh or commercial-describe if fresh the most type you feed (fruit/veggies/meat etc)
commercial crabby cookies, fruit and flower mix, pellets, occasional fresh grapes (removed as soon as they all ate their fill.)

What type of mite did you see (white/tan/black/red) and descrip if u can
tiny white mites, most visible near the food dish and around the water.

What time of year did you get the infestation
summer (july)

what room is the tank in (bed/dining etc)
living room

is your home normally cool in summer/warm in winter or the opposite (like not all of us have central air that kind of thing)
Fairly constant around 75 degrees

is your home normally "buggy" meaning you have lots of other bugs (spiders/centipedes/daddy long legs)
I have an ant problem right now, and an occasional spider creeps in.

do you own other pets, if so what kind
3 cats, 2 domestic shorthair & 1 persian.

On a side note, I only noticed the mites after I lost 2 crabs. The 2 had been molting when I noticed that undeniable death smell. When I cheked on them (peered from underneath the tank with a flashlight) I saw that both crabs were COVERED in mites and both were very, very dead.

Needless to say, they were burried in my garden, the remaining crabs moved to a temporary tank, and I boiled/baked all of their toys, purchased new substrate, and sprayed the tank with a vegetable-garden pesticide. Let that sit to kill any remaining mites and eggs, scrubbed the heck out of the tank to remove any residual pesticide, and now my remaining crabs are happy and mite free.