Guide to bugs in the crabitat 1.2

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:12 am

thnks 4 such great info!

the other day i found a cockroach in the tat! it was only a baby and i got it out but are those dangurous 2 crabs??i have not seen anymore in there since.

3 spoiled hermies-Sunset, Army Dude and Clefspere

burnin4Christ

Post by burnin4Christ » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:54 am

any help would b appreciated!!

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Jedediah posted that she wouldn't be around because of computer problems... you might try PMing her. I think she said she could check her PMs at the library or something.

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 10:06 pm

thanks.
This helped alot.
I noticed gnats in there a few days ago and have been thinking of what to do.
Do you think a sticky trap would hurt the crabs?
It would probably be hung from the top, so they can't reach it.
just wondering.

Post by Guest » Sun May 20, 2007 8:41 am

Somewhere in Jed's sticky about bugs in the tat she tells how to make a fruit fly trap that might work for gnats.

Topic author
Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sun May 20, 2007 8:46 am

A sticky trap might help. There's a type that's sticky on both sides so you can attach it to the lid of the crabitat where the crabs cannot reach it.
Gnats usually don't go for rotting fruit ect. like used in the fruit fly traps, but it's worth a try.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Post by Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 5:14 pm

Jedediah,

Some of the links are no longer active.

Thanks for this thread, I always come back here when I need bug info.

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:13 pm

I just had a batch of millet that came with moth eggs i couldnt see. They hatched and i have moth worms and moth ! They are harmless but i had to go get some moth glue traps to get rid of them.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 pm

I thought due to the great photos of mites in this thread that it should be mentioned in this bug thread. viewtopic.php?t=73654&highlight=
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 pm

These predatory mites, is there a possibility of them breeding and then exiting the tank and infesting my house? I'd like to give them a try if I get bugs, but I don't want killer mites roaming around my house.

Topic author
Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I don't think so, they die off once they cannot find food anymore. Usually, they feed on othr mites and maybe on algae, so they are not likely to find that in your house :)
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

jeanninehargrdh

Post by jeanninehargrdh » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I have fruit flies or gnats in my crabitat. Since all of my crabs have been staying underground during the day I put a glass of juice right in the tat to drown the flies. I take it out at night so it doesn't cause trouble for my crabs. I caught several yesterday but nothing today. A sticky fruit fly trap in the lid like someone suggested sounds good. I've also put a moratorium on feeding fruit for now.

lkl

Post by lkl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:55 am

So, ants won't hurt the crabs? I do want to get rid of them so will do a deep clean, but do I need to panic and hurry?

joshjahnke

Re: Guide to bugs in the crabitat 1.2

Post by joshjahnke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Just to give you a heads up, the only info I can see is on booklice... I don't know if the rest was deleted or what, but it's not visible. Just wanted to let you know...
Crabbing since March, 2011...
3 PPs - Hector, Wilma and Slinkly
Recently acquired 4 more! No names yet...

Topic author
Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Guide to bugs in the crabitat 1.2

Post by Jedediah » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:37 am

I'll look into it, it's been years since I updated this. Thanks for letting me know.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002