Co-habitating with other critters

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Vallora

Co-habitating with other critters

Post by Vallora » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:47 pm

So some time last week a brown widow took up residence in an upper corner of my crabitat. I'm quite excited both because I adore spiders, and she has caught several gnats! I had already been considering setting up a raised planter for a venus fly trap within my new tank that the frabbies couldn't get to, since the needed conditions are similar. I love the idea of a cohabitat. Today I set up the seedling garden that will be ready by the time I can move them from the 30g to the 45g. :D
Hermit crabs are my creatures, because they too are mistaken as loners...

moonshermies

Re: Co-habitating with other critters

Post by moonshermies » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:00 am

That is awesome!! I just planted 4 baby bromeliads,in my tat..havent had any coinhabitants take residence yet..we have alot of spiders as well..

Sent from HTC EVO, using Tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Dom :)

Post by Dom :) » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Spiders don't harm crabs? I removed like five webs over the past month!
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

Topic author
Vallora

Post by Vallora » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Salt&Peppy wrote:Spiders don't harm crabs? I removed like five webs over the past month!
I can't imagine how they could. I did bump the web a few times with my elbow on accident, but she moved to a different corner now. It would be a problem if a male got in somehow and she laid eggs though, cause then I'd have upwards of 50 spiderlings in my tank. X.x
Hermit crabs are my creatures, because they too are mistaken as loners...

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 pm

moonshermies wrote:That is awesome!! I just planted 4 baby bromeliads,in my tat..havent had any coinhabitants take residence yet..we have alot of spiders as well..

The bromeliad in my frog vivarium has started to grow another pup. There's barely any room left for plants in the viv, so I'm thinking my crab tank may be getting a little addition in the near future :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 am

jarteta97, wow thats awesome!! im glad to know someone has done this 2, successfully!! thank you..I have one big baby &3 lil ones in mine, my crabbies love climbing on 2 of them on them one side where I second tiered a moss pit w nets..them two smaller ones I have closer to the hideout, where the sub is deepest..
I only spray my bromeliads with fresh water a few times a week when the "cup" is dry..is this how you do it? I also find the humidity went up & is staying closer to 80-83%..My tank temp is now 77.5 to 85deg f.. So im happy w myself & can stop worrying now, my one crab is dwn & them other is an active digging fool!! lol

Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..