Checking Crabs for mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Spags

Checking Crabs for mites

Post by Spags » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:40 pm

I'm not new to crabbing, but I'm new to the whole idea of bugs in the tank. Iv'e done research on sow bugs but white researching them, i discovered how to check for mites. I know how but I am new to the whole "holding the crabs" aspect of crabbing. I'm more of a "let them be" person. how should i hold them to inspect them for mites
Who needs ductape when we have Eco-Earth?

Arosewithashell3

Re: Checking Crabs for mites

Post by Arosewithashell3 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 pm

First of all, always pick a hermit crab up by the shell. If you are scared of mites getting on you or anywheres else while you inspect it, you have a little problem. Sorry. You have to pick up the crab somehow and the ONLY way is by the shell. But anyways, if you dont want to 'look' because you just dont want to see them or just get scared with bugs, then have a bath for the crab(s). Have fun with your hermies! :crabbigsmile:
How to give a bath: A bowl with a shallow amount of water (enough where the crab can walk and not swim in it.)and make sure the water is warm since hermit crabs are used to warm climate. MAKE SURE THE WATER IS CHLORINE AND AMMONIA FREE!!! This is important because the chemicals can kill the crab. So just dechlorinate it like how you would with your freshwater dish, and then put Stress Coat® or anything similar to it. Stress Coat® contains some aloe which is good for hermit crab skin. (But not good to eat, like lotion to us) Stress Coat® is only meant for water and can be found in aquarium aisle. You take you hermit crab that you think is contaminated and submerge it under water no more than 4seconds and
then tip the shell so that water pours out. Mites/ bugs, whatever you got, should come out, repeat this at MOST 2 more times. Warning: this can be stressful to the crab so make sure that you handle the crab with care.
Have fun with your hermies!

soilentgringa

Re: Checking Crabs for mites

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:05 am

The mite topic is covered in depth here, along with HCA recommended solutions for dealing with them.
viewtopic.php?t=92530