Little brown bugs all over food - helpppp!!!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Little brown bugs all over food - helpppp!!!

Post by Kellykoala333 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Ok so I’m kinda freaking out here I’m so not a bug person.

After throwing out my crabs food (it gets moldy so fast! I give them dry hermit crab food mixtures from etsy) I felt something on my hand and I saw a tiny tiny brown bug. I killed it and look back in the trash and noticed little brown walking bugs all over the food! What is this?? Is it everywhere in my tank and I just can’t see it because the substrate is brown? Should I be worried?

Kinda freaking out how can I get rid of these??

I tried to look at the bug guide but am not 100% sure what it is. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Little brown bugs all over food - helpppp!!!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:16 pm

No need to worry, they are likely springtails or food mites (neither are harmful, but I'm not great with identification). I have little food mites in my tank too. I just let them be since they break down left over food and crab poo. As long as they aren't clinging to the crab (like in joints and whatnot), you're ok.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:06 am

Ok that makes me feel better! I wish I had no bugs at all totally freaked me out when I saw them! Hopefully the bugs eventually die out! Haha

Thank you! You have been super helpful since I’ve gotten my crabs and I appreciate it!! So much to learn as a hermit crab owner!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 pm

Kellykoala333 wrote:Ok that makes me feel better! I wish I had no bugs at all totally freaked me out when I saw them! Hopefully the bugs eventually die out! Haha

Thank you! You have been super helpful since I’ve gotten my crabs and I appreciate it!! So much to learn as a hermit crab owner!

You're welcome! Glad I could help out! The bugs/mites live in/around our homes, but are attracted to warm moist places. That why they show up in our crabitats. Sometimes feeding just dry foods can keep their populations under control. Or you could put a piece of fresh food in, wait for them to congregate on it, then toss it and the bugs out.
Happy Crabbing!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:48 pm

Thank you!! That’s great advice!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:59 pm

Yw!