White rice shaped specks in water?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
DorkyCorcy

White rice shaped specks in water?

Post by DorkyCorcy » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Heya! I was checking on my tank conditions and found white rice shaped specks drifting around in clumps and in parts in both my fresh and salt water bowls. I'm not sure if they're living things as they don't wriggle around, or if they're some sort of mineral deposit from continuous use of my bowls.

I don't notice anything out of the ordinary on my crab (Though at the moment he won't let me pick him up for closer inspection), or anything in his food bowl as I change it out anytime the food goes bad.

Edit: They do move, they jump around and wriggle around in and on the water!!!

https://imgur.com/a/VLTSW0l

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: White rice shaped specks in water?

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:37 pm

Some sort of little mites, I would think. Not harmful to your crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DorkyCorcy

Post by DorkyCorcy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:17 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:37 pm
Some sort of little mites, I would think. Not harmful to your crabs.

Ahh I see, well hoping they don't show up again, I just dumped the water and replaced it. I'm hoping to do a deep clean just to be sure everything is okay in the tank. Thanks for answering!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:30 pm

Check out our care sheets about mites. THe majority of them are not harmful, and they are common in tanks. Personally, I wouldn't bother doing a deep clean, if you only saw a few in the water, and especially if you don't see any more once you dumped them out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers