Springtails ordering?

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Eholna

Springtails ordering?

Post by Eholna » Mon May 13, 2024 9:50 pm

What is a good place to order springtails from? How many should I get? Do I just put them directly into the crabitat, or do they need to be isolated and cared for first like isopods, and if so, is there a care sheet for them?

Thanks in advance!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Springtails ordering?

Post by JoeHermits » Tue May 14, 2024 9:08 pm

We don’t have a care sheet, but most vendors should be able to give advice pn the species they sell. Springtails can usually go straight into the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Springtails ordering?

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 23, 2024 2:43 pm

This response is a little late, but I've ordered springtails once through Josh's Frogs. Commercial cultures come in wet charcoal, which is probably fine for the crabs but it would be best to just let the springtails exit the container on their own rather than mix it into the substrate. I bought the tropical kind but I'm not sure they took to that tank very well as I never see them. Those are pretty distinct as they're bright white.

Personally, my most robust springtail colonies came from leaves and wood added directly from outside. They just showed up on their own, and there's multiple species as well. Some are small and silvery, some are plump and orange. I couldn't tell you what type of springtail they are, but they all do cleanup really well!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram