Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:22 am

Thoughts wrote:now that they've reproduced I probably have a good 100+ in my tank
:shock:

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:44 am

Hey Thoughts--do yours ever escape??
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:07 am

I added them to my 'tats a while back, too, and I'm happy to say I notice a considerable difference. They're definitely doing their job keeping the 'tats clean and mold-free. I do think I need to get more, though. Maybe I'll do that today :D

Mama, I've not had any escape, though I did have one of my jumping spiders successfully escape - could not for the life of me get that little bugger back in the 'tat, lol.

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 am

You can keep jumping spiders in a crabitat?? Do you use them to keep the rollie pollies in check?

This is starting to remind me of the old lady who swallowed a fly!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 am

The spiders are in there to keep the fruit flies in check, LOL. And it's actually been working, though in all honesty, I don't know if it's the spiders or not.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:00 am

Do you ever see the rollie pollies????

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:16 am

I see mine very infrequently. Once in a great while, I'll see one moving around in the moss pit, or climbing up a leaf stem. But that's it. Then again, I only have about 15 in a 26 gallon tank.....

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I see mine a lot, often near the crabs who don't seem to mind them at all. I think I have at least 40 or so, but that's a very rough estimate, there are probably more I haven't seen.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:04 am

MamaZelly wrote:Hey Thoughts--do yours ever escape??
not yet, but its a 125 gallon tank those are quite the walls to climb for a rollie pollie hehe, I see them alot in the dark corners of the tank and mostly behind the fountain.

crystal

Post by crystal » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

I went searching and I found somewhere between 8&12. I haven't seen them since I put them in. They're in a 55, so I wasn't really expecting to see them much. Man, I used to find those things everywhere when I was a kid, and now, almost nothing. I'm going to try to find more today.
6PPs, 10Es

Cynderella727

Post by Cynderella727 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:07 pm

I am intrigued by the rollie pollie idea, however my substrate is EE expanded with double strength salt water. I also occasionally mist with salt water. Will the salt harm the rollie pollies?
Mommy of 1 human, 1 cat, 2 dogs, and 6 Purple Pinchers.
~Crabby since July '07

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 pm

I am afraid to put them in my crabitat... what if my crabs don't like them.... what if i can never get the bugs out ? :shock:

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Cynderella,

I do not think the salt will harm them. They are closely related to marine isopods, which live in salty conditions.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 am

Eww... Sorry but I really really hate bugs as tho they can be great janitors. Plus my tank has no cover, they can escape and it disgusts me, especially if my lovely puppy eats it (he'll eat it FOR SURE) and then what if they drown....

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:16 am

They can't climb glass or plastic because the way their legs are. Pill bugs stay as low as they can for survival.