Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:04 pm

I think I'll collect some come spring. They seem interesting. When you do a deep clean with the pillbugs in there, do you worry about accidentally killing some that are in the substrate? I wouldn't want to accidentally bake some alive... :?
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

eregel

Post by eregel » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:04 pm

I love my rollie-pollies, but they've really added to the angst when I clean the tank - I can't just drag the tank furniture out and dump it in a bucket - I always find rollies clinging to the underside of things. Just one more thing to worry about.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:36 pm

I tried the rollie pollies as well, but i caught Bella making a snack of one of them. It was upsetting... So now i have 10 gallon rollie pollie tat with about 70 in there! I guess i have some new pets now.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Jayson wrote:I tried the rollie pollies as well, but i caught Bella making a snack of one of them. It was upsetting... So now i have 10 gallon rollie pollie tat with about 70 in there! I guess i have some new pets now.
Initially, it was for me too, until I realized that they could keep the crabs from eating each other (if they want to eat something, say, living) if they focus on eating the pillbugs instead of the molters and premolter hermits.

eregel

Post by eregel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:14 pm

Not to mention that most people think they're gross horrible vermin to be disposed of at all costs... people are so clueless!

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 pm

eregel wrote:Not to mention that most people think they're gross horrible vermin to be disposed of at all costs... people are so clueless!
Don't forget "nutritious"...

...oh, so delicious.... 8) 8) 8)

eregel

Post by eregel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 am

At least you didn't say "delicious"... that would have been kind'a creepy.

oh, dang... you DID.... I shouldn't post before the 3rd cup of coffee.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Mwahahahahahahahaha...!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 am

I'd really like to put some Roly Polies (Wood Lice) in my tank. If I'm going to have bugs in my tank, might as well put something in it myself, right? Is there a possibility they might munch on the springtails and white wormy bugs I have roaming in my tank, or do they specifically just eat dead things?

There's one thing that has me worried... picking up the bugs from outside and then just putting them in the tank. Do you guys do something to clean them first? I mean, with the dirt they've been crawling in and whatnot I wouldn't want them to bring something else into the tank.

Regarding the types... does it matter what type you put in? Flat, or pill-shaped? Color? Someone mentioned on another post not to get gray ones but I don't recall ever seeing a roly poly that wasn't gray.

eregel

Post by eregel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:47 am

I just dump them right in - added a batch last night, in fact.

I have no clue what people are talking about when they say not to use the blue ones. I've never seen any that weren't grey, either.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:24 am

I just threw some out. They bred a bit too much lately and I think I have thrown out at least 200 of them.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

eregel

Post by eregel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 am

ooooh, you're gonna get contacted by all those people who can't find any of their own....

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:37 pm

eregel wrote:I just dump them right in - added a batch last night, in fact.

I have no clue what people are talking about when they say not to use the blue ones. I've never seen any that weren't grey, either.
Okay. I think tomorrow I'll go collecting. There's a bunch of them that made their home in the sand I'd dumped a while ago from when I cleaned out the tank, so I don't think I will have a problem getting any. xD What type do you prefer to put in your tank? The flats or the ones that roll into a ball?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Ugh... Am I the only one that can't find any?!
All I find is worms and little beetles and those horrid maggots. I've only seen one pill bug and it was dead, in my living room. I'm assuming it latched on to my dog's tail or something. But I cant find them anywhere!

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm not even sure if we have them in Arizona. It's really dry here and they might not like it. Next time I'm up at Lynx Lake, I'll look under some logs and rocks in the woods.
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^