Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Mango wrote: Okay. I think tomorrow I'll go collecting. There's a bunch of them that made their home in the sand I'd dumped a while ago from when I cleaned out the tank, so I don't think I will have a problem getting any. xD What type do you prefer to put in your tank? The flats or the ones that roll into a ball?

The flat ones are called sowbugs and the ones that roll up in a ball are called rollie pollies. Some people can't tell the difference so they just pour them into the tank. It doesn't really matter as they both do their job.

eregel

Post by eregel » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:49 pm

My hubby is so sweet! He came in from some yard work today and gave me a coffee can with dozens of rollie pollies in it. He's not particularly into the crabbies, but when he found a big nest he made a point of scooping them up for me.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:13 pm

:smt101

hazel_eyes89

Post by hazel_eyes89 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Can they climb out of the tank? That would be my only concern.

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 pm

hazel_eyes89 wrote:Can they climb out of the tank? That would be my only concern.

Nope :) Glass is to smooth for them to get a good grip on.

eregel

Post by eregel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:37 am

I always find them in/on/under decaying wood - when it's really soft and rotten they build tunnels in it.

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:46 pm

I am overrun with the bugs in my backyard. I decided not to add any to my 'tat, just because I really don't want to kill any during cleans. I'm too sensitive to animal life, haha.
If anyone is really that broken up about not finding any in their yards I could always harvest some and pack them in a plastic container with some cricket water gel things (I have tons left over from when I had a tarantula that ate crickets). The plastic containers are quite shallow and could fit in a manila envelope.
Haha, I know I'm sounding crazy, but if anyone wants any I could totally get you plenty for only $1.00-$2.00 in shipping. :P
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:10 pm

NotaMallard wrote:...
Haha, I know I'm sounding crazy, but if anyone wants any I could totally get you plenty for only $1.00-$2.00 in shipping. :P
Sounds tempting 8)

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:21 pm

eregel wrote:My hubby is so sweet! He came in from some yard work today and gave me a coffee can with dozens of rollie pollies in it. He's not particularly into the crabbies, but when he found a big nest he made a point of scooping them up for me.
Aww, he got you bugs! :D

Haha, only in a crabber's world. :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 am

Would somebody love to send me some?!

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 am

Kilimanjaro wrote: Aww, he got you bugs! :D

Haha, only in a crabber's world. :wink:

:hlol:
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

Viperfish

Post by Viperfish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 am

NotaMallard wrote:I am overrun with the bugs in my backyard. I decided not to add any to my 'tat, just because I really don't want to kill any during cleans. I'm too sensitive to animal life, haha.
If anyone is really that broken up about not finding any in their yards I could always harvest some and pack them in a plastic container with some cricket water gel things (I have tons left over from when I had a tarantula that ate crickets). The plastic containers are quite shallow and could fit in a manila envelope.
Can't have anything until the tank is fixed up, but an so going to take you up on that offer.

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm

CreepyCrawly wrote:Would somebody love to send me some?!
I certainly would love to send you some. PM me, we could work it out.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 am

My 5 year old son loves isopods, thinks they are the coolest things. SO when I initially mentioned keeping them in with his crabs he was excited. Then he asked why and I told him that they will cut down on the mold here and there and that the crabs would enjoy eating them.

Then I got the lecture about how they too are natures creatures and I quickly realized that we would not be putting isopods in our enclosure. He is a caring little fellow.

Keith

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:57 pm

What if you have micro hermit crabs, would the rollie pollies harm them? Do the hermit crabs eat them alive? Wouldn't the rollie pollies harm the crabs when they are molting, like when a micro is molting? :confused: :freak:
*Julia Coenobita- Crabbing Since 6/3/06*
PPs: Amethyst, Chrysoprase
Es: Apollo