Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Rollie pollies are entirely scavengers. They eat detritus, not living critters. I wouldn't worry about them attacking hermies.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 pm

I just threw out 200-300 rolypolies - considering that I started with just five or six, that's not bad. They just bred a bit too much lately :)

btw, the water gel is of no use to them. Better use a moist piece of tissue paper or moss when shipping them.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 am

Jedediah wrote:I just threw out 200-300 rolypolies - considering that I started with just five or six, that's not bad. They just bred a bit too much lately :) ...
Ah, I wish I could've gotten some from you. :) Cannot find much this year over here, when compared to previous years...... :?

Of course, shipping would be a bear...:D

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am

Julia Coenobita wrote:Do the hermit crabs eat them alive?

My hermit crabs love to eat them live! They just grab one real fast.

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Yesterday I sent CreepyCrawly 17 rollie pollies (she only asked for 10, but I expect casualties in the shipping process) and tomorrow we should expect a report and see if shipping them works.
I broke up a piece of the water gel into about eight little pieces, because I didn't see that post until today. Still, the gel should evaporate enough so that the little guys can breathe. I was reading up on them, they're actually the only crustaceans that don't use open water for any part of their life process. Cool!
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 pm

kevinoh33 wrote: My hermit crabs love to eat them live! They just grab one real fast.
Same here. 8)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 am

I put a rolly polly in my crabitat.
I don't think they ate it yet, so that's good. I like roly polies.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:35 pm

NotaMallard wrote:Yesterday I sent CreepyCrawly 17 rollie pollies (she only asked for 10, but I expect casualties in the shipping process) and tomorrow we should expect a report and see if shipping them works.
I broke up a piece of the water gel into about eight little pieces, because I didn't see that post until today. Still, the gel should evaporate enough so that the little guys can breathe. I was reading up on them, they're actually the only crustaceans that don't use open water for any part of their life process. Cool!
Just got the package today. Sadly, they were all dead. Probably because it was baking outside. But the gel would definitely work, because it was very moist in the container. Poor rollie pollies... Looks like my crabs will have an amazing dinner though.

BobbyyzWorld

Post by BobbyyzWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:25 am

If putting rollie pollies in the tank means never having to do a deep clean EVER I'm sold!

Do they eat the crab poo too?
I just found some for the first time in their little digging spot in the EE eww... [smilie=sick.gif]

I'd much rather have a rollie pollie do all the work while I relax and enjoy my little crabbies! 8)

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm

BobbyyzWorld wrote:If putting rollie pollies in the tank means never having to do a deep clean EVER I'm sold!

Do they eat the crab poo too?
I just found some for the first time in their little digging spot in the EE eww... [smilie=sick.gif]

I'd much rather have a rollie pollie do all the work while I relax and enjoy my little crabbies! 8)
I hear that, My rollie Pollies have done great. I think I have a thousabnd and counting in the Exotics tank. The Straws love to capture and eat em.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

BobbyyzWorld

Post by BobbyyzWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:24 pm

wow are you serious?! what size is your tank?

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 am

Isopods, isopods, that's not an isopod, this is an isopod:

Keith

Topic author
Bob & Souix's Mom

Post by Bob & Souix's Mom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 am

:hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am

Yeah, that a whole lotta isopod, all right.... :shock:

May I ask exactly what it is?