Rollie Pollie Crazy

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:24 am

Mine our going strong and breeding :) Started to seed the new crabitat (still without lid so still no hermies in it yet), they are the first official residents lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 am

OMG, look how long this thread has become! LOL!!!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 am

Nice article on Naturally Crabby, Lola! I'm glad to see your collecting was a success.

I think all of my rollie pollies have parished from my tank because of drowning. I am currently trying to think of a method that will keep them away from the water dishes. :dontknow:

Topic author
Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am

That is awesome Thoughts! If anyone needs any of these guys, I have a TON in my yard! Just pm me with how many you want and I can send them to you! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 am

totallyhermies wrote:...the night i got mine i couldn't sleep. everytime i closed my eyes, i'd see bugs. :lol:
:smt043 lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:58 pm

its not funny. its was a NIGHTMARE!!!!!

:shock:

*screams and runs*

:lol: j/k

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Mine seems to be all eaten... :? :? :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:17 pm

i know, i gathered 6 or something, i don't see them. AT ALL. :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't regularly see mine, but I do find their itty bitty tunnel holes, usually under the food/water dishes, so I know they're in there :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Can they live in sand?
Can I give them a salt water bath to get rid of parasites?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:32 pm

I've seen the ones in my 10 gal on a occasion. I have yet to add any to the 40B but will be soon.

I actually have a separate set-up for the rollies and they are colonizing and breeding like crazy!!! Right now I just have them in a large KK. I'm going to setting up a 5.5 gal micro tank in the next day or two and have been contemplating about moving my colony of 50+ rollies into the 5.5 gal as well. So yeah, if anyone is in dire need of rollies I can definitely help you out!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:44 am

Since all of my rollie pollies have perished from drowning or being eaten by the hermit crabs, I have decided to hold off on them until I can arrange a different set-up.

None of the rollie pollies, while they were alive in the 'tat, could climb to the second levels. I figure I would put the water dishes in one of the second levels filled with EE.

That means my moss pit would have to be moved somewhere else, but I guess I can use a coconut half or another shower caddy. :dontknow:

And of course, I am most likely going to put a small shell for the rollie pollies on the bottom level so they have something to drink from. :roll:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:45 am

Mine had babies!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:46 am

LolaGranola wrote:Mine had babies!
Already? That was really fast! They must be comfortable in your 'tat. :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:47 am

I'm sure one of them came in pregnant. (Did you know that they are livebearers?)

I'll try to get some pictures when I get home tonight.