Rescue advice needed

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

AwesomeHermit

Re: Rescue advice needed

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Hopefully he makes it!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
jkmlad

Post by jkmlad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm

I think there might be some signs of life! I was studying the habitat and thought that my daily spritzing with a spray might not be maintaining an adequate amount of humidity. So I took some water, and started pouring it carefully around in the habitat. This morning there's an area, directly under the heat light, where the sand has been disturbed! There looked to be a hole where the disturbance was located that might be for breathing. Now... next question. The shell he's in now is much larger than the shell he was purchased in. I could put that shell back in, but should I go out and buy another shell? Or if he emerges, will he emerge with the shell I assume he took down with him?

Topic author
jkmlad

Post by jkmlad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm

HE LIVES!!! I was out all day yesterday, and didn't get home until late last evening. I was telling hubs that I thought I might have seen signs of life, and walked over to the habitat. There he was! In all of his glory, burrowed in to a space between the wall and the fresh water container! I haven't seen an Ectoskeleton, or anything looking like parts, but since he was under for about 6 weeks, I guess he could have consumed it down there. He seems about the same size he was when he went down, so I hope he actually molted. I put in some fresh pecan pieces, some mango, and a blueberry last night. If he hasn't eaten it, he has at least walked through it and spread it about the habitat. The 10 year old has told me that if the crab lived he wants the crab back, but I informed his mother today that the crab was alive. I also advised her that he could not return to their home without a much greater commitment to his well being. I went into detail about what he will need and what the boy needs to do to get him back. I also told her that my grandson has a successful environment, and the crab would have company there. So that's where we are now. I am so grateful for your help. I hope I'll know more soon about where he'll be living, and that he will enjoy a much healthier life from here on.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 am

jkmlad wrote:HE LIVES!!! I was out all day yesterday, and didn't get home until late last evening. I was telling hubs that I thought I might have seen signs of life, and walked over to the habitat. There he was! In all of his glory, burrowed in to a space between the wall and the fresh water container! I haven't seen an Ectoskeleton, or anything looking like parts, but since he was under for about 6 weeks, I guess he could have consumed it down there. He seems about the same size he was when he went down, so I hope he actually molted. I put in some fresh pecan pieces, some mango, and a blueberry last night. If he hasn't eaten it, he has at least walked through it and spread it about the habitat. The 10 year old has told me that if the crab lived he wants the crab back, but I informed his mother today that the crab was alive. I also advised her that he could not return to their home without a much greater commitment to his well being. I went into detail about what he will need and what the boy needs to do to get him back. I also told her that my grandson has a successful environment, and the crab would have company there. So that's where we are now. I am so grateful for your help. I hope I'll know more soon about where he'll be living, and that he will enjoy a much healthier life from here on.
That is AWESOME!!! Good job on all of your hard work!!! I would definitely make them show you the proper environment before you return the crab if they do decide to make the commitment. Crabs are social creatures, and shouldn't be alone. :) KUDOS!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Lewisthecrab

Post by Lewisthecrab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 pm

OMG. He's either destressing or escaped. I had one escapee stay lost for a week and then he crawled on my PLATE while I was eating lunch! But he could be instant molting. They do that when they're brought in from a bad home, so he should be okay! Fingers crossed for your little guy!
"To boldly go where no crab has gone before"

Current Crab population: 3
Tank size: 10 gallon

Current residents: Lewis(male), Nico(male), Alexa(female)

Lewisthecrab

Post by Lewisthecrab » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 pm

OOPS acting on old news here! I'm so glad but please do not give that crab back to that 10 year old! He will kill it for sure! :crabcry:
"To boldly go where no crab has gone before"

Current Crab population: 3
Tank size: 10 gallon

Current residents: Lewis(male), Nico(male), Alexa(female)

Topic author
jkmlad

Post by jkmlad » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 pm

I cannot be happier. I had a long talk with the 10 year old, and told him that if he wanted the crab back, he would have to deal with me checking constantly on the crab's well being, and forcing him to take better care of him. I told him that my grandson would take him to add to his crabitat, and he would have crabby friends. The crab went home with my grandson on Wednesday. I look forward to periodic updates! Thanks to all of you for your advice and support. The whole rescue was a positive experience because of your help.