Naked hermit crab not moving into shell

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hermiecrab123

Naked hermit crab not moving into shell

Post by Hermiecrab123 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:54 am

Hi I have had my hermit crab for 3 years now and it has moulted two times. After it’s second moult, it seemed very lethargic and would hide in its hut and not move. Recently it moved out of its shell and was naked, and I tried coaxing it back but it wouldn’t go in. I put it in a separate area of the box and placed shells around it, but all it does it sit and not move. Someone please help?

Moe2076

Re: Naked hermit crab not moving into shell

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:55 am

I'm sorry to hear your crab is not doing well. You should fill out the emergency questionnaire template, it helps us get a better picture of what the problem may be. I'm pretty new but from what I have read they can drop thier shells when they are too weak too carry it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
Hermiecrab123

Post by Hermiecrab123 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:17 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coco fibre and sand
Around 6 cm deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
No
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes a heat pad
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water
Water conditioner from aquatopia (one drop)
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Crushed nuts, dried fruits, dried shrimp, crushed cuttle bone
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 years, I’m not sure
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, a few weeks ago
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
The lid is wrapped in Saran Wrap
A plastic box 45cm by 30 cm
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, around 4 cm in diameter and 3 cm
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3 per crab
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Once a month
Replace the substrate
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I read in a post here that if a hermit crab is naked you should try and manually reshell it. I tried doing this and it is in a shell but now it has completely stopped moving and is limp. I think it’s dead but I’m not sure? Please help I really don’t want to lose him

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coco fibre and sand
Around 6 cm deep

Curly - your sub should be at least 6 inches, or three times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. What type of sand do you use? Play sand is best, sand marketed for hermit crabs such as calcium sand, is not safe. Is the substrate moistened with dechlorinated fresh or salt water?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
No
Curly - A thermometer and hygrometer are essential. Crabs need a humid environment to breathe, as they have modified gills. The humidity should be around 80% or higher. They also need tropical temperatures, also around 80 degrees.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes a heat pad
Curly - Where is the heat pad located?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water
Water conditioner from aquatopia (one drop)
Curly - I am not familiar with that brand of conditioner. Not all dechlorinators are the same, some don't remove everything they need to. What brand of salt do you use? Be sure to check the water care sheet.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Crushed nuts, dried fruits, dried shrimp, crushed cuttle bone
Curly - Crabs need a varied diet, with protein and calcium daily. Be sure to check out the safe/ unsafe food lists as well as the food pyramid.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 years, I’m not sure
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, a few weeks ago
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
The lid is wrapped in Saran Wrap
A plastic box 45cm by 30 cm
Curly - How tall is it? Do you know how many gallons?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, around 4 cm in diameter and 3 cm
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3 per crab
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Once a month
Replace the substrate
Curly - When you have proper substrate, it never needs to be replaced. You can just spot clean the poop and bits of food. What have you been doing if either of the crabs are underneath the substrate?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I read in a post here that if a hermit crab is naked you should try and manually reshell it. I tried doing this and it is in a shell but now it has completely stopped moving and is limp. I think it’s dead but I’m not sure? Please help I really don’t want to lose him

Curly - A crab without a shell will die, so you did the correct thing by re-shelling it. The fact that it was naked means that it was too weak to carry it. There are a few things in your tank that need to be improved. Unfortunately, it may be too late for this crab. Isolate him from the other crab so he can't be attacked. Make the improvements as soon as you can, in order to give him and your other crab the best chance possible.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers