Moulting

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
15WildTurkey

Moulting

Post by 15WildTurkey » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:12 am

Hi all, I’m new to the hermit world. I got my son 3 on vacation. I know it’s a terrible trade etc. 😞. Well now I’m committed to giving them a good life. They are in a 10g tank for now. With a sand coco fiber mix for substrate. We’ve had them for a week now and they have all moved into new shells and dug down. I presume they are trying to moult. Pinchy was decidedly pale but the others were still quite vibrant. They have been active and eating up until now. They’ve all taken dips in their soaking pool.
The tank is at 80deg and between 60-70% humidity. I know there is a distinct possibility they won’t survive the moult with stress etc but here’s my questions, do I still need to change out food every couple of days? And water?in general how long does it take? Sorry if these are silly questions. I have some green dry maple leaves in their tank too.
Thank you in advance for any and all advice

Hermielover121

Re: Moulting

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 am

What I like to do all my crabs are molting I just leave a tiny bit of dry food and keep checking up on them before I go to bed every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
15WildTurkey

Post by 15WildTurkey » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:29 am

Ok thanks. I’ll do that.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:01 am

when my crabs molt i still chan he everything thing out
like the water i do only if it’s dirty though
the food i still do because sometimes they aren’t molting and just dig for fun and they’ll come up at night so i always have their food there for them
and make sure to keep you temp and humidity the same still
and the process depends on the size of the crab
check this out https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 23&t=92527

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:49 am

You're humidity needs to be higher. Minimum 75%, better 80 and up. What kind of lid do you have? They have modified gills and need humidity to breathe.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi