Water bowls haven’t seen crabs drink from new ones yet?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Water bowls haven’t seen crabs drink from new ones yet?

Post by Kellykoala333 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Hello!

So I have a question I recently got my hermit crabs new Tupperware bowls I made one salt water, one freshwater (dechlorinated) I put mesh on with zip ties and added some river rock and little shells so they can easily climb in and out with it deep enough for them to soak in and made it level with the substrate and I swear I can’t figure out why but they haven’t seen to take a liking to it! I actually had to add back in one of their shallow dishes of water they usually like because I was scared they weren’t getting water.

I haven’t seen them use the new bowls and they look untouched. Do I need to add a bubbler to make them crabs like the deeper water bowls??

Thanks,

Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water bowls haven’t seen crabs drink from new ones yet?

Post by curlysister » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 am

Many crabs, especially PPs, don't fully submerge. They will dip in around the edges, or will wade into shallow pools. They know what they need, and will take what water they need from any bowl you provide. Some of us with PPs don't have super deep pools, because they don't really use them anyways LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:53 am

Oh that makes me feel a lot better! They seemed to love the shallow pools I had in there before so I’ll make sure to add those back in with the big pools so they have options!!!

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:32 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 am
Many crabs, especially PPs, don't fully submerge. They will dip in around the edges, or will wade into shallow pools. They know what they need, and will take what water they need from any bowl you provide. Some of us with PPs don't have super deep pools, because they don't really use them anyways LOL.
yea.. if i don't get another crab anytime soon, i may switch to shallower pools because Eugene NEVER submerges..unless he falls in... he just sits on the edge and dips his claw in
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Ok this is all great advice! I have 3 others but they are all hiding (I think molting) I worked so hard on crafting these pools but it would make a lot more space in their crabitat without those too and if I just add back their other ones!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:52 pm

My crabbing secret confession is that I have never taken HCA's advice with pools. I have never had pools deep enough for my crabs to submerge - I have had them for over 11 years and they are jumbos now. So it obviously wasn't a huge problem for them! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Kellykoala333

Post by Kellykoala333 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:44 am

Ok that makes me feel a lot better!! I was so worried about the whole crab pool thing but for some reason mine are not interested in them at all! I’m gonna leave it in for maybe a few more weeks to see if the others take interest but if not I’ll remove them and that will create a lot more room in their tank!!!!