Three new Crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Joulesaffection

Three new Crabs

Post by Joulesaffection » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:29 pm

I've never had my own hermit Crabs.
We bought three.

2 on vacation and 1 after we came home.

First one Violet, changed her shell 3 x, 1st immediately after getting in the new tank. I had to keep them in the critter keeper for a few days before I was able to get the tank and sand, and other substrate things....
(which was quite cool, we got a video of the first time, and a partial of the 2nd time)

Now, Violet (day 2) is buried. (I know to leave her alone).
Then also Shelldon buried himself under the coconut hut.

But Crab three, Big Mac , I have no idea where he is. (he previously escaped from the critter cage he was in the set up tank we got)
I am so scared he got out, but I'm pretty sure there is no way that could happen.

CrabbyLover77

Re: Three new Crabs

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:46 pm

Welcome to crabbing!

Hermits are great at hiding. If you're sure he couldn't have escaped, he's probably buried himself somewhere and will pop up soon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Joulesaffection

Post by Joulesaffection » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:50 pm

Thanks! We know where two are. The third bigger one, we think we found him (can't see him, but saw sand disturbed where we saw them last)

How long will they hid? They have been hiding since the day after we put them in the new tank.

Our one crab changed her shell three times, then hid!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:03 am

They can stay down for days or weeks or months, depending on whether they are digging for fun, to de-stress, or to molt. Unfortunately there is not way to know which one they are actually doing down there LOL. Be patient, and don't start to worry until at least the four month mark. Just keep the conditions correct, and leave out some food and water for them, as you won't have any warning when they will be up again.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Joulesaffection

Post by Joulesaffection » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:32 pm

I've noticed at least has 1 has come up. I can see one's shell, he's the smallest so i'm not sure why he doesn't bury himself fully.
I just keep the temp and humidity good, and give them fresh water and food.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Sometimes my guys just hang out partially buried at the top. If I walk close enough to the tank, they must feel the vibration and slide all the way under lol.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Joulesaffection

Post by Joulesaffection » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:25 pm

So how do I keep the sand wet. I spray and spray. I have kept the water full, and changed the food every few days. Doesn't look like they are eating.
Today I noticed the sand is getting very dry. I have an idea where the crabs may be (best gestimate), but don't want to disturb them.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Joulesaffection wrote:So how do I keep the sand wet. I spray and spray. I have kept the water full, and changed the food every few days. Doesn't look like they are eating.
Today I noticed the sand is getting very dry. I have an idea where the crabs may be (best gestimate), but don't want to disturb them.
When you added the sand, was it moistened to sand castle consistency using dechlor fresh or salt water? Also what type of lid do you use? I have a glass lid that seals everything in, so my sand stays moist. I also periodically add moist sand on the top when the sand in the tank looks like it's settling. That keeps everything damp too. Image

Topic author
Joulesaffection

Post by Joulesaffection » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 am

I did moisten to sand castle consistency with salt water. I unfortunately have the lid that came with my tank, so I couldn't find one that glass or sealed. I ended up putting contact paper over the top to keep the moisture in (where I didn't have lights).
But my heater finally came in, and that seems to keep the tank warm enough, without a light.

I've been trying to put water in the sand(but I am not sure exactly where they were at).
Yesterday unfortunately, I had poured more water in, and I knew where Shelldon was, and I thought I was going to drown him. He didn't move.
I scooped him out. (You could see the top of his shell)
He had been dead a while. (There was no smell, though).

Now I'm concerned they are all dead. Its been quite a while since I've seen them.
I feel like one is moving around, I see evidence they have chewed sponges in the water, but still no food looks gone.

:(

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:50 am

Joulesaffection wrote:I did moisten to sand castle consistency with salt water. I unfortunately have the lid that came with my tank, so I couldn't find one that glass or sealed. I ended up putting contact paper over the top to keep the moisture in (where I didn't have lights).
But my heater finally came in, and that seems to keep the tank warm enough, without a light.

I've been trying to put water in the sand(but I am not sure exactly where they were at).
Yesterday unfortunately, I had poured more water in, and I knew where Shelldon was, and I thought I was going to drown him. He didn't move.
I scooped him out. (You could see the top of his shell)
He had been dead a while. (There was no smell, though).

Now I'm concerned they are all dead. Its been quite a while since I've seen them.
I feel like one is moving around, I see evidence they have chewed sponges in the water, but still no food looks gone.

:(
The lamp may have been zapping the moisture. I'd try wrapping the lid in saran wrap in addition to the contact paper to help with moisture. You have to be careful of over wetting the sand causing a flood. If you push a straw or stick down in the sand and water pools, you probably have a flood, which is considered an emergency. You'd need to gently dig every one up (be prepared to iso if necessary), and re-do your sub so it is the right consistency again.

Also, sponges in water dishes will harbor bacteria, so you'll want to take those out. It's ok to leave them in the tank dry for the crabs to munch on though.

I'm sorry that Shelldon passed. Image