Sap Still on Baked Pine Cones

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MotleyMusicana

Sap Still on Baked Pine Cones

Post by MotleyMusicana » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Hey, so I was baking some botanicals that I collected to put into the tank. I got maple leaves, mulberry leaves, a couple of maple branches, and two types of pine cones. I baked the pine cones at 180 degrees (fahrenheit) for over an hour, but I still see small spots of shiny tacky resin. What should I do to remove it? or is it fine? I don't want my crabs to get sick so I've just been letting them sit while I figure this out

ps. wasn't sure if this should go in crabitat conditions or food, since they're decorations and also snacks? so I just put this here
3 PP's
- Professor Pinchy
- Debauchery "Deb"
- Cake

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Sap Still on Baked Pine Cones

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:53 am

Pinecones have a long history of being safe, whatever sap they do contain is in small enough amounts to be harmless. There is a lot of concern these days over pine, so I can understand any worry though. What about picking out the nuts and just offering them by themsleves?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
MotleyMusicana

Re: Sap Still on Baked Pine Cones

Post by MotleyMusicana » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:38 pm

I had to look up a video to figure out how to actually get at the pine nuts cuz I wasn't sure how to extract them best. but yeah I can definitely just add those. since you said the pine cones are safe tho I might just add some of them too for enrichment and decor

thanks!
3 PP's
- Professor Pinchy
- Debauchery "Deb"
- Cake