Digging but not molting!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Mommatodaleandcomp

Digging but not molting!

Post by Mommatodaleandcomp » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:41 pm

Hello All!

I have two hermit crabs, dale who joined about two months ago and Computer (I know it’s a very strange name :lol: ) who joined about 6 months ago. Computer has become a very active and happy hermit but recently has started digging all the time. This is an unusual behavior for him and the humidity and temp are just right. A few days ago, Computer completely went under the substrate and I figured he was molting. He was under for about three days. Yesterday however, he resurfaced and I felt concerned. I noticed him digging in new places which is very uncommon for him. Today he is out and about but also digging! I’m worried about him and would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanks so much :crabblush:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Digging but not molting!

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:49 pm

Sometimes they just dig for fun. But sometimes they go under to check out the conditions prior to actually molting. I notice that mine tend to do some digging and go up and down for a bit....then I will notice they are gone for a long time. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Tim cuthbert

Post by Tim cuthbert » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 am

Yeah what curly said, they are probably just digging like my crabs do or they might be trying to find the right spot to burrow for molting.

Topic author
Mommatodaleandcomp

Post by Mommatodaleandcomp » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:17 pm

Thank you both!!!! I feel so much better. Appreciate the help!