Another one freaking died what the heck?!?!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Another one freaking died what the heck?!?!

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm starting to think this hermit crab thing isn't for me because one of them I rescued at the pet store just up and flipping died. Getting sick of this!!!!!! :pull_hair:: :banghead: :smt102
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Re: Another one freaking died what the heck?!?!

Post by KyMart » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:09 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:28 pm
I'm starting to think this hermit crab thing isn't for me because one of them I rescued at the pet store just up and flipping died. Getting sick of this!!!!!! :pull_hair:: :banghead: :smt102
You have to remember that they go through a lot before we get them, and some of them just can't recover. I'm so sorry for your losses!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:03 pm

What are your temp and humidity? What changes have you made to your tank, of the ones that we have suggested?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:15 pm

I ended up putting moss in after the 2nd one died
Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:15 pm
I ended up putting moss in after the 2nd one died
What have you been feeding them?

What are your temperature and humidity?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Humid is finally at 70 something and heat is past 70. Been trying to feed them different fruits and they got their last pealts.
Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:52 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:35 pm
Humid is finally at 70 something and heat is past 70. Been trying to feed them different fruits and they got their last pealts.
70% is still too low - crabs have modified gills and need higher humidity in order to breathe. Do you have a lid on your tank? Putting a lid, or even using plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) over the top will help hold in humidity. Are you using play sand and coco fiber for the substrate? Is it moistened with dechlorinated water so that it holds it's shape? This will also help increase humidity.

70 is also too low for temperature. Have you moved the heat mat from under the tank, and onto the back? You can also insulate the tank, wrapping some cardboard with tinfoil and taping it onto the tank (careful tho - not all heat mats can be insulated over top, but you can insulate where the mat isn't on the tank). And you can put a folded up blanket on top of the lid of the tank to help hold in heat as well.

Be sure to look at the 'nutrition' care sheet. Crabs can eat much of what we eat. They need a varied diet, including calcium and protein daily. You can take some of what you eat and give it to them - meat, veggies, fruits, eggs including shells, grains, nuts, seeds, etc. They don't eat much, so just little bits of each is fine.

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:30 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Play sand

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes in back of tank heat 70 something and humid is 70 something

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? under tank heater

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? both have zoo med of both water things

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? been feeding some fruit and pelts

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Purple pinchers

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? yes new crab just changed shells tonight.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with lid towel over top

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? put larger shells in and took small shells out

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? not too long ago

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? yes i don't want them to drown.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Just put moss in today

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Lost another fellow today. Frustrated mentally handicapped person here.
Beam Me Up Scotty