Another one bits the dust

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Another one bits the dust

Post by Prayingmatis » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:02 am

I swear these guys just straight up and freaking die. The one I found today my friend had for 9 months and now I only have one little guy left. I swear that song could be a theme song for them with me.
Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another one bits the dust

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:32 pm

If your friend did not have proper conditions, substrate, waters, food, etc for that months, then it is not surprising that they are not surviving. The only thing you can do to give them a chance at survival is to have all your conditions, substrate, waters, food, etc perfect as soon as possible. And even then, they may not be able to overcome previous poor conditions.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:45 pm

I give up we are not getting anymore these are not the type of animals for me I'm done
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:06 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:45 pm
I give up we are not getting anymore these are not the type of animals for me I'm done
So you're just ditching the last guy because the others couldn't recover? I know how it feels to be frustrating, Frog, my biggest, most social, and most dear to my heart crab went missing a few days ago, and had yet to be found. I'm heartbroken, and I wanted to just give up and sell my whole setup and supplies, but that's not fair to my other 3 crabs, who I also care for dearly.. I could barely bring myself to put them back into the tank, it felt so incomplete, I balled my eyes out while putting the tank back together, and I have cried every night since because I can't find my dear boy..
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:28 am

I not ditching my last one. I still got him. Mom and I just can't keep affording to go out and get an "perfect" set up like you guys can. I am on food stamps and stuff. I let you guys know from the beginning that I am handicapped. I really wanted them to make it and did my best with what my friends gave me. I wish you guys weren't mad at me and made me out to be a betrayer. I would never just toss out an animal just because. Mom just won't let me get any more that is all. I never want an animal friend to die. Me and mom just realize hermies are not an animal that we can make a perfect home for and we will be stopping at this last one because of it. I will still care for this little guy but I can't keep affording to go out and buy more things for him. I never wanted to disappoint any of you and I'm sorry that I apparently have. :hail:
Beam Me Up Scotty

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:42 am

I'm so sorry that this happened.
However, when looking through this thread, I don't think Curly or KyMart appear mad or disappointed. KyMart was seemingly trying to relate to you with her own grief. I can't speak for them, but I'm not mad, and I don't think they are, either.
I appreciate you trying to care for your last surviving crab. That's very kind of you.
I think the thing we are all concerned about is living conditions. On a budget, you don't need anything fancy, but the basics are, well, basics- and they're essential. If you feel at this moment that you cannot provide that, perhaps putting your crab up for adoption is a good choice.
It's heartwarming to see somebody who understands the boundary of "I cannot provide, so no more". Not too common of a sight these days.
Please understand: We are not here to bully you, make you feel put down or sad, or to hate on you. We're here to offer advice, encouragement, and sometimes hard, but loving, words of wisdom.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:20 pm

Thank you. We bought new food for the last one it's Tetra hermit crab cakes
Beam Me Up Scotty

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:04 pm

Prayingmatis wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:28 am
I not ditching my last one. I still got him. Mom and I just can't keep affording to go out and get an "perfect" set up like you guys can. I am on food stamps and stuff. I let you guys know from the beginning that I am handicapped. I really wanted them to make it and did my best with what my friends gave me. I wish you guys weren't mad at me and made me out to be a betrayer. I would never just toss out an animal just because. Mom just won't let me get any more that is all. I never want an animal friend to die. Me and mom just realize hermies are not an animal that we can make a perfect home for and we will be stopping at this last one because of it. I will still care for this little guy but I can't keep affording to go out and buy more things for him. I never wanted to disappoint any of you and I'm sorry that I apparently have. :hail:
You didn't disappoint us, and I'm so sorry if anyone made you feel that way! And I didn't mean actually ditch him, I meant put him up for adoption! I totally get your situation, and would never shake you for it. And it's a good thing that you and your mom have decided that if you can't give an animal proper care, then it's not a good fit for you as a pet! I'm proud of you for trying, and all of your improvement! :hug99::
~
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:06 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:42 am
I'm so sorry that this happened.
However, when looking through this thread, I don't think Curly or KyMart appear mad or disappointed. KyMart was seemingly trying to relate to you with her own grief. I can't speak for them, but I'm not mad, and I don't think they are, either.
I appreciate you trying to care for your last surviving crab. That's very kind of you.
I think the thing we are all concerned about is living conditions. On a budget, you don't need anything fancy, but the basics are, well, basics- and they're essential. If you feel at this moment that you cannot provide that, perhaps putting your crab up for adoption is a good choice.
It's heartwarming to see somebody who understands the boundary of "I cannot provide, so no more". Not too common of a sight these days.
Please understand: We are not here to bully you, make you feel put down or sad, or to hate on you. We're here to offer advice, encouragement, and sometimes hard, but loving, words of wisdom.
I completely agree with Clover.
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:07 pm

I put an UVB on my cage heat is up 90 but now humdity is down to 40. What the heck?
Beam Me Up Scotty

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:14 pm

That's the problem with using heat lamps. They zap your humidity. I'd recommend an ultratherm heat mat, placed on the back wall of your tank (not under it!)
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:29 pm

If I place glass over the top of the tank then put the heat lamp on it that would work right? I can not afford to keep spending money on the hermit crab
Beam Me Up Scotty

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:19 pm

No, if my knowledge is correct, that could shatter/crack the glass (with the intense high heat).
If I were you, I'd consider trying to rehome your crab. It deserves the best life possible, and it seems you might not be able to provide for it. (Again- NOT hating on you or bullying you. Just making a loving suggestion.)

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:22 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:19 pm
No, if my knowledge is correct, that could shatter/crack the glass (with the intense high heat).
If I were you, I'd consider trying to rehome your crab. It deserves the best life possible, and it seems you might not be able to provide for it. (Again- NOT hating on you or bullying you. Just making a loving suggestion.)
I agree with Clovers suggestion. If you decide to go that route, you could also sell your set up (with the crab or without the crab) and get some/most of your money back!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:09 pm

If I sell it to a pet store how will I know it's going to a good home?
Beam Me Up Scotty