Changing shells

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
crowleyandazi

Changing shells

Post by crowleyandazi » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 am

I've just gotten 2 hermit crabs for the first time, I've had them for a week now. And one of them keeps changing shells (lots of times in the one day), and also just picking up shells and poking his head inside without moving in. Any idea what he's doing/why he's doing it?

Prayingmatis

Re: Changing shells

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:12 am

Not sure but a couple of mine did that before too.
Beam Me Up Scotty

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Changing shells

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:12 pm

crowleyandazi wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 am
I've just gotten 2 hermit crabs for the first time, I've had them for a week now. And one of them keeps changing shells (lots of times in the one day), and also just picking up shells and poking his head inside without moving in. Any idea what he's doing/why he's doing it?
Welcome to crabbing and to the site!
Crabs check out shells just to check them out LOL. To see if the shell is a better weight, fit, opening, etc. If they decide they like it, they keep it....otherwise they change back to the one they had before.
Be sure to offer the appropriate types of shells for the type of crabs you have, in appropriate sizes. HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. The 'shells' care sheet explains which shells are preferred by which species of crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers