Crabitat humidity

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Curious247crabber

Crabitat humidity

Post by Curious247crabber » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:11 am

Help please!

It's difficult to regulate the humidity in my crabitat. I feel like there is no sweet spot. I can keep the glass lid tightly shut, then the substrate will stay nice and moldable. Then the humidity skyrockets and stays at 99%.

I could prop the lid to let out some humidity, but the result is that the substrate starts to dry out. Then I have to fix the substrate.

What is a girl to do??

KyMart

Re: Crabitat humidity

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:56 am

Curious247crabber wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:11 am
Help please!

It's difficult to regulate the humidity in my crabitat. I feel like there is no sweet spot. I can keep the glass lid tightly shut, then the substrate will stay nice and moldable. Then the humidity skyrockets and stays at 99%.

I could prop the lid to let out some humidity, but the result is that the substrate starts to dry out. Then I have to fix the substrate.

What is a girl to do??
I've been having the opposite issue! My humidity keeps staying at like 56%! I have remoistened the moss, TWICE, and my substate is a sand castle consistency, and my glass lid is on tightly! It was fine before, I don't know what's happening..
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
Curious247crabber

Post by Curious247crabber » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:56 pm

Haha I wish I had an answer for you! I have no idea how the humidity is so high in my tank. It's just sand with coconut fiber. I'm not doing anything terribly special. :lol:

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:27 pm

Curious247crabber wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:56 pm
Haha I wish I had an answer for you! I have no idea how the humidity is so high in my tank. It's just sand with coconut fiber. I'm not doing anything terribly special. :lol:
I have sand and coconut fiber that is sand castle consistency, two medium sized water bowls, and a moss pit! I even have a sea sponge (which I clean often) in there to help with humidity (they also nibble on it and roll it around the tank for fun)!
~
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Update! Since yesterday when I remoistened the moss, it's now roughly 62%-65%, which is an improvement!
~
~
KyMart

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Curious247crabber wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:11 am
Help please!

What is a girl to do??
99% is fine for humidity, you don't have to lower it. There might be more chance of mold, but it's not harmful to the crabs, you can just remove it when you see it.
But on the other hand, the top layer of sub will dry out a bit but if the humidity is still around 80% or more, it won't dry super fast if your lid is only cracked a bit. I have always had some air flow in my tanks, the lid has never been sealed completely - and my UTH's go below the level of the sub in a couple of places; both of these mean that the sub dries out a bit in some areas. I just add a bit of water as needed, it's not a big deal.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers