Crab attempted climbing out of tank, how should I respond to this?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Rellik175

Crab attempted climbing out of tank, how should I respond to this?

Post by Rellik175 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:22 am

I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 hermit crabs in it, one of them climbed up one of the decorations and hung om the thermo-hygrometer I have stuck on the wall in the corner of the tank. I didn't want him to escape overnight so I gently picked him up, he was hplding on the the thermometer very tightly and I didnt want to hurt him so I unstuck the thermometer and set both of them on the substrate, after he climbed off the thermometer, I picked it up and stuck it back on the wall. Was this the right response or should I just leave him be next time he does this? I dont want to stress him out but I want to make sure hes safe and not putting himself in any danger

emayers

Re: Crab attempted climbing out of tank, how should I respond to this?

Post by emayers » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:08 am

Does your tank have a lid? If not, how do you maintain your heat and humidity? If you don't have a lid, get one! Glass / plexiglass work great for maintaining heat and humidity. Mesh is heavier, but allows too much air flow. Covering mesh lids with plastic wrap is the go to to maintain conditions.

If you do have a lid, as long as your lid is heavy enough, your crab won't be able to get out. Some people add a weight on their lid to prevent that.

If you are worried about him getting hurt from falling, rest easy. The drop distance in our tanks are not far enough to cause harm.

Topic author
Rellik175

Re: Crab attempted climbing out of tank, how should I respond to this?

Post by Rellik175 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:10 am

Yes, I have a lid. Thank you, I'll just leave him be next time.