Lost leg

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ccrtr

Lost leg

Post by ccrtr » Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:35 pm

So, I know it's not a good thing for hermits to lose a leg... my crabs were sent labeled as purple pinchers but I think they're ecuidorian. I'm not sure if they're in the right shell, maybe that's partial cause of their problem. Their large claws dont fit well in the opening. My biggest one has lost a back leg. I've got new shells coming TODAY, my question is, wouldn't I see the lost leg in the sand? Also I've had them maybe two weeks and have spent a fair amount t of money on these buggers. I'm trying my hardest to keep happy healthy crabby babies. What should I do for my injured guy?

Topic author
ccrtr

Re: Lost leg

Post by ccrtr » Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:36 am

ccrtr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:35 pm
So, I know it's not a good thing for hermits to lose a leg... my crabs were sent labeled as purple pinchers but I think they're ecuidorian. I'm not sure if they're in the right shell, maybe that's partial cause of their problem. Their large claws dont fit well in the opening. My biggest one has lost a back leg. I've got new shells coming TODAY, my question is, wouldn't I see the lost leg in the sand? Also I've had them maybe two weeks and have spent a fair amount t of money on these buggers. I'm trying my hardest to keep happy healthy crabby babies. What should I do for my injured guy?
Addition:
The crabby switched into a new shell the same day I got them their new ones! Still missing a leg...

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:08 pm

ccrtr wrote:So, I know it's not a good thing for hermits to lose a leg... my crabs were sent labeled as purple pinchers but I think they're ecuidorian. I'm not sure if they're in the right shell, maybe that's partial cause of their problem. Their large claws dont fit well in the opening. My biggest one has lost a back leg. I've got new shells coming TODAY, my question is, wouldn't I see the lost leg in the sand? Also I've had them maybe two weeks and have spent a fair amount t of money on these buggers. I'm trying my hardest to keep happy healthy crabby babies. What should I do for my injured guy?
Hi,
I think I looked at your crab photos and they def were not PPs. Check out the care sheet for E's to make sure their environment is up to par. They require higher temps and deeper substrate:

https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB ... 35a0820b43

The guy who lost a leg will hopefully regrow it when he molts. To make sure he is strong enough to do that, you can offer high energy foods like honey and natural peanut butter. And like all crabs, always have lots of protein and calcium available.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:28 am

The other one has lost a leg as well. I'm under the impression that the first one is molting because they've buried themselves and haven't come up for food. The other one looks like it's getting ready to molt because it keeps burying itself half way and has been staying close to the uth. How long does a molt usually take?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:49 pm

They can stay underground for a few weeks up to a few months when they are molting.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers