dead?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
EGcrabber

dead?

Post by EGcrabber » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think that my E died. :( I can't tell for sure because he's facing upward and I can't see his abdomen, so it could be a molt. And there's also no smell. The eyestalks don't seem to be empty though, and I found his shell somewhere else in the tank. I've heard that Es sometimes molt naked though? I have no idea what might have caused the death, but what to do now? :(
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Could be a naked surface molt. If it is, ISO him so he doesn't get attacked or anything.

You'll know for sure if he's dead or molting when/if you smell the dead fish smell, also known as the 'death smell'. It's unmistakable, trust me.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes, please wait for the death smell before you do anything. :( But, ISO him in some way so that he's not attacked, and offer some energy boosting foods, just in case.

I wish you and your crab the best of luck. :)

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 pm

This is a very stressful situation for you I can imagine. I would definately, without a doubt, try to ISO him some way whether it be with a 2 liter bottom or CD case in the corner. He is very vulnerable now, as I am sure you know.

EG, I am really hoping this is just a surface molt for you and all goes well Keep us updated. If you feel there may be some type of flaw in your conditions, you can always post the help template. :wink:

Best wishes to you! [smilie=luck.gif]

-Kili

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm not going to repeat the above as that is unnecessary, but I wanted to say "good luck". [smilie=comfort.gif]

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Yikes! :shock: If he is out of his shell, is his abdomen attacked? If so, then it is his body, and not exo. Yes, definitely wait for the death smell, but things don't look good....I'm sorry. :(

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 pm

I know so many people say "wait for the death smell". I've never had a crab that smelled when dead. Right now I have a crab in an ISO tank that didn't make it. I've been after my husband for about a week to bury it - my husband's made a little 'cemetary' in the side yard, bless his heart. But I'm sure its been dead almost two weeks and still no smell.

I have another way to tell if a crab is dead. I take a small piece of paper and put it between the two pinchers that make up the BP. If it's alive, it will instinctively bite down on the paper. Has anyone else use this method?

meanwhile, EGcrabber, I hope your little one is okay.

Topic author
EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Well, bad news. :( He's dead. When I moved him I saw his abdomen, and he was starting to smell alittle. I still can't believe how this suddenly happened. :(
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm

[smilie=comfort.gif] I'm so sorry. :(

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:08 am

Its always hard to lose a crabbie... I am very sorry for your loss... [smilie=hug99.gif]

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:09 am

I'm sorry too.
That's very sad.
[smilie=grouphug.gif]

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 am

So sorry! :cry: (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm sorry! :(

I have another way to tell if a crab is dead. I take a small piece of paper and put it between the two pinchers that make up the BP. If it's alive, it will instinctively bite down on the paper. Has anyone else use this method?
Yes, or under the gaurd leg and kinda pull it. It is very helpful if they are in the shell. Ionce bought a crab that was dead (had no idea, from Petsmart) and I was able to find out that way. :(
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus