Tiny hermit crab disappeared

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
jjyoung1228

Tiny hermit crab disappeared

Post by jjyoung1228 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:31 pm

So I'm new to the site and iI absolutely love it... And this is bothering me enough to figure out how to poston here lol. So iI'm a new lhc owner and i just got my third crab, Avi. Anyways I dipped himin the salt water pond a couple time and set him lose in the tank. He was going in the water and walking around so i let him be and took my dog out. When we came back in Avi was no where to be found. I looked all around and I don't see any disturbed substrate when he may have buried down. As I said I'm a new crab owner so am I just over looking where he dug down and freaking out for no reason or should iI really start digging around for him?

CallaLily

Re: Tiny hermit crab disappeared

Post by CallaLily » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:53 pm

He probably dug down which is completely normal for a new crab. No need to worry. :)

Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I agree with Calla, but did you happen to leave the lid open? They can escape quickly!!
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

Topic author
jjyoung1228

Post by jjyoung1228 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for your input. I did find him. I have flat cork bark on my background and he's so tiny he got behind it.

emceedi

Post by emceedi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 pm

My littlest crab hides too. After I got him, he went down and molted for two months. Now he only comes above ground at night, and I've only actually seen him a couple times.
Six PPs and four Es!