Can't find hermit crab poop

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
adef99

Can't find hermit crab poop

Post by adef99 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Hello! I got my hermie last week and I just found out hermit crabs have solid poop :? I just read another post on this site saying what the poop looks like and where to find it (moss pits, around food dishes). I just did a deep look and I... can't find anything??? What happens if their poop isn't picked up?

mool

Re: Can't find hermit crab poop

Post by mool » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:25 pm

I haven't picked up my crab's poop since I started keeping crabs circa 2008. I still have the same crabs!

The poop will help a colony of nitrifying bacteria develop and digest the poop. These are the "good" bacteria that you want in your tank.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Give them some time! Chances are with your crabs being new they are still adjusting and gaining strength. Once they get healthier from a balanced diet they will be pooping more!

I think sometimes they carry it in their shells for a while then unload all at once! Ours really like to unload in water pools! They also seem to hide it in empty shells too!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

blackberry75

Post by blackberry75 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:55 pm

I've had my crabs for almost a year and just started finding poohs. I don't know if it's because they're bigger now and so is their poops. I haven't had any issues like odors, bacterial blooms, mold, etc. Now when I find it I put it in the pools to help with the nitrate cycle.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk