Lost hermit crab

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Alyw77

Lost hermit crab

Post by Alyw77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:00 am

I came home from work yesterday and could not find one out of three crabs. One, the newest one is active and out. The other one is, I believe molting, he’s been burrowed in the sand under a hut for a week at least. They were all in shells. None are tiny. The third crab disappeared. I checked all of the many and different sized shells. I sifted through the sand with my hand, then with a sifter. I would think I’d at least find him out of his shell. I do not see him in a new shell. Not do I see him shellless. What do I do? Please help. Thank you.

Second question,
The crab that’s in the coconut hut keeps having a pile of sand in the door. Is that him doing it or another crab?

ItsMixed

Re: Lost hermit crab

Post by ItsMixed » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:36 am

Your "lost" crab may just be a big digger. Some crabs like to dig around in their substrate and are very hard to find. This is the case with one of my crabs which is a small guy who burrows all over the place and I can never find him until night when he comes up. Also, what is your substrate depth? and is their a lid on top of their enclosure? If so, what is it made of?

The crab in the hut pushed the sub in front of the cave. Mine do it too. They just want more privacy. Nothing to worry about.
Proud owner of 4 PPs:
Mantis
Longclaw
Gary
Sheldon

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:55 pm

I’d say I have 3 inches of sand/soil. Tons of shells and 3 hiding spots. I went through everything.

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 pm

There is a screen top as a lid. Slides in. I’m worried about the guy.

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Came home today and there he was. In a smaller shell mostly in top of the sand. I don’t know why he’s in a smaller shell or where he went?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:50 pm

Ideally, you want your sub to be 3x the height of your largest crab. It should be moistened to sand castle consistency using fresh or marine salt water. When you say "soil", do you mean eco earth/coconut fiber?
You should not dig for crabs. It can be dangerous and/or stressful to buried and/or molting crabs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:18 pm

CL77 has good advice and questions. I am also wondering what your temp and humidity are?
Where is the one who had been underground for a week - did you dig him up?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:47 am

It says hermit crab souls. Med Labs. I don’t have a thermometer or humidity gauge. I’ll get them now that it’s getting cooler out. I didn’t realize that substrate had to be that moist-sandcastle consistency. I just with freshwater every day. I have at least 6-8 bags of sand in the tank. I guess I’ll add more.
I did not dig out the crab in the hut. He’s just half in half out. He’s alive. The missing one just popped out after a day or two.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:27 am

Are you using playsand? Hermit crab sand from the pet store is actually not safe for them to molt in.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:26 pm

Yes. From the pet store.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:14 pm

Alyw77 wrote:Yes. From the pet store.
I don't know of any pet stores that sell play sand. It's usually calcium sand which isn't safe for hermits (Flukers brand is an exception, but can be crazy expensive).

I used calcium sand for years not knowing it wasn't safe. About 3 years ago my one crab molted in it. The sand hardened in her shell and she died. Basically, she was trapped in her shell.

You'll want to get actual play sand from a hardware store. You can get it for $5-6 for 50lbs. You def wanna grab a hygrometer/thermometer asap. It's a necessity all year round. Crabs have modified gills and need moisture in the air to breath. Humidity shouldn't fall below 70%, but try to always shoot for 80%+.

You mentioned you sifted all through the sand looking for your crab. That would be considered digging too, which you want to avoid unless there is an emergency.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:04 pm

I only sifted because I was really scared. The other advice though is great. The one that went missing was gone again this morning but now I know he’ll be back. I feel better.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:23 pm

It sounds like what you are using is actually Zoo Med Hermit Crab Soil - which is coco fiber (aka - eco earth). If this is what you have, it is totally safe for crabs! But it does need to be moistened with dechlorinated water so that it holds it's shape for when crabs are digging tunnels and caves underground. Many of us mix in play sand with the coco fiber - the mix is sometimes easier to maintain and keep the right consistency, and it is much cheaper than all eco earth (a 50 pound bag of play sand from a hardware store is under ten bucks!) Whatever you use, it should be at least two to three times as deep as your largest crab.
When a crab goes underground, they can stay there for days, weeks, or even months! As long as there isn't an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom, don't go looking for them. It can be a test of patience, but it is normal for them to be underground, and I wouldn't worry until at least 4 months or more!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:50 am

Thank you very much! I feel much better. I am going to get more of the sand and some soil to make it deeper. It’ll be about 6 inches then. I must every day but I’ll pay extra attention to the sand and mist more. Thank you everyone!

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:27 am

just to be clear, you must completely moisten the substrate by pouring water into it initially (pre mix in another container not your tank) then if needed you mist while in the tank... just misting will not make it sandcastle it will just help maintain humidity if needed.
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston