Hermit habitat

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Liv.da.crab.lover

Hermit habitat

Post by Liv.da.crab.lover » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:59 pm

I have hermit sand, fish tank rocks, and coconut soil in my hermit habitat. I of course section all of it off to give my hermits a variety but sometimes I feel like I can do better tho and would like more input. Along with that I have a variety of food and treats to eat and plants to hide in and climb along with a hamster igloo since all 3 of them wanted to go in 1 coconut. :flower:

hermitsinnc

Re: Hermit habitat

Post by hermitsinnc » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:23 pm

The best substrate that most of us use is a mix of playsand and cocofiber, about 6 inches deep or more so they can molt. It should be moistened to sand castle consistency. Unfortunately, most 'hermit sand' sold at petstores is actually calcium sand, which is unsafe. And gravel isn't good substrate either--they need sub they can tunnel into for molting.

Do you have both fresh (dechlorinated, Seachem Prime is a commonly used brand as most 'hermit water conditioners' are no good) and salt (mixed with a marine salt such as Instant Ocean) water?

Do you have gauges to measure the temp and humidity? If so, what do they read?

Do you have plenty of extra shells in appropriate sizes for them to change into?

Here's the basic care sheet if you haven't seen it already: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 0&t=119273

Happy crabbing!
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath